10 Attractions to Visit in Colorado Before You Graduate From CU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at CU Boulder chapter.

Venture outside of the Boulder bubble and give your adventurous spirit some fresh fuel with these spots!

Red Rocks Park and Amphitheatre

Yes, we all love concerts, BUT you haven’t truly experienced one until you’ve gone to a show at Red Rocks. The sound, vibes, food, and drinks are seriously unbeatable.

Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve

This remarkable and unique national park is about 4 hours from boulder, and totally worth the drive. Enjoy one of the most beautiful night skies you’ll ever lay eyes on in this incredible sand box. 

Garden of the Gods

This National Natural Landmark located in Colorado Springs, will literally take your breath away. This large public park offers a number of different ways to experience the beauty it holds. Visitors can drive, hike, bike, or explore the park on a horse. 

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo

America’s only zoo with a mountain view. This zoo is located in Colorado Springs, on Cheyenne Mountain. Handfeed giraffes at an elevation of 6,800 feet. 

The Royal Gorge Bridge

This natural wonder located in Canyon City, holds a great variety of activities for everyone! The park has historic and scenic displays, the highest zip line in North America, gondola rides, and an entire amusement park full of more fun activities. 

Denver Botanic Gardens 

This public botanical garden is located in Denver, Colorado. The garden of 24 acres features 15,000 species of plants from all over the world, with over 700 types of plants native to the state of Colorado. This impressive place also features 41 different gardens.

Seven Falls 

The Broadmoor Seven Falls consists of seven lovely waterfalls located in South Cheyenne Cañon, Colorado Springs. Enjoy dinner at The Park and Restaurant 1858 along with hiking trails, zip-line tours, and great shopping in the area. 

Hanging Lake

Take in the remarkable landscape of Hanging Lake among the Rocky Mountains, located in Glenwood Canyon. Grab your canoe, or running shoes, and go! (You won’t regret it).

Mesa Verde National Park

Another undeniably breath taking national park. Here, lie thousands of archeological sites, including remarkable cliff dwellings. Mesa Verde was once home to the ancient Pueblo, which inhabited the dwellings from around 600 AD to 1300 AD. 

Pikes Peak in Pike National Forest

Pikes Peak in Pike National Forest, lies at 14,115 feet above sea level. This peak is one of the most famous of mountains that stand over 14,000 feet. The destination includes hiking trails, mountain biking, and fishing in the nearby reservoirs.

Ryley Fabber

CU Boulder '19

Ryley Fabber is currently a senior studying Journalism at the University of Colorado at Boulder. The native New Yorker lives for good music, food and people. If she's not in the library, you can most likely find her hiking the flatirons, playing her guitar, snowboarding, or watching The Office.
Caroline grew up on the East Coast, in Maryland, and now calls the Rocky Mountains home. She is a sophomore at the University of Colorado Boulder studying psychology and creative writing. Out of the lecture hall, she teaches vinyasa yoga at the CU Rec Center, enjoys a vegan lifestyle, acts as Recruitment Officer for Buffs for Reproductive Justice, is a member of Alpha Phi - Beta Gamma. You can find more of her journalism work over at TheTab CU Boulder.