Winter or Spring? 4 Must-Have Accessories for Ithaca’s Awkward Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

It’s not spring, even if the calendar says it is. And it’s not winter, even if more days than not it feels like it. That means that us collegiettes have to work with the weird weather when we get dressed every day. But there are a few surefire ways to transition your wardrobe during this awkward season!

Item: Cardigan. Cardigans are a girl’s best friend. Cute, scholarly, and stylish, cardigans come in tons of varieties. You can play with length, color, and embellishments.
Pair it with: Jeans, tall boots, and a tank top. Opt for a solid cardigan, so you can use the opportunity to bust out some of your summer tank tops; florals and bright colors abound!

Item: DIY Capris. I’m a big fan of rolling up jeans. There’s no reason to buy a pair of capris (frankly, they’re kind of mom-ish), so keep it casual with a pair of straight legs or boyfriend jeans.
Pair it with: Roll ‘em up and pair them with moccasins or flats.

Item: Tights. When it’s too cold for shorts, but you’re sick of jeans, pull on a pair of dark tights.
Pair it with: If you can pull it off, and it’s hard to, try out the dark tights and light colored tweed shorts look. It’s a solid look that screams, “I’m between seasons!” But if you can’t, or are too afraid to try (and that’s a reasonable fear), pair your tights with boots or flats and a dress. Nothing too loud, but a simple sundress with a solid color, or a subtle pattern will do.

And for those days where there’s supposed to be a freakish amount of precipitation…
Item: Raincoat. It’s always good to invest in a brightly colored raincoat. The bolder, the better! You’ll be spending a lot of time in it on any given day, and yellow or red will surely brighten up your day compared to black or forest green.
Pair it with: Anything but sweatpants.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.