Stuck in Ithaca? Your Guide to Surviving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

There are many perks to being from California: the year-round sunshine, lack of snow and no need for footwear besides flip-flops, just to name a few. However, there is one caveat: ever-expensive flights. Thus, when presented with a lovely four-day break, I sit on my bed as I watch my friends jubilantly tote bags en route to a much-needed rest at home. Having endured the Fall Break hiatus “stuck” in Ithaca I have developed several strategies for staying alive, during the vacation ghost-town effect, that may come in handy for the Thanksgiving squatters.

Food

Unfortunately, the dining halls do close starting at 2pm the first day of break so be prepared to bid that meal plan a teary ado. But, not to worry, here are several food hacks:

1. Stock Up! Like I said, dining halls close at 2pm the first day of break. This means, go for breakfast and lunch that day and take the liberty of carrying your allowable one dessert and one fruit item. Also, if you have extra swipes or an all-you-can-eat meal plan why not have four meals this final day? That could mean at least four apples and cookies stock-piled in your room! Or there is always the sneaky Tupperware option to consider…

2. The BRB alternative. Be sure to check the Cornell Dining website and Facebook page. A couple of days before a break starts they post a chart of on-campus BRB cafes that are open during select hours. If you have managed not blow all your bucks at Trillium before break and don’t mind a campus treasure hunt for food then you’re in luck!

3. Finally try the “must-tastes” of Collegetown. There are a few staples in our lovely off-campus hub. Please tell me you’ve had CTB by now (if not, I question your life). But, during break, you have the perfect excuse to try lesser-known, yet well-loved eateries such as The Nines, Mehak, Plum Tree and Miyake.

4. Venture to the Commons. I know it takes significantly more effort and the resolve to climb back up a hill to go Downtown, however it can be worth it and it’s not like you have class to worry about! If you, like me, miss the taste of decent Mexican food (AKA never go near That Burrito Place) then give Viva Taqueria a try! You won’t be disappointed…

Fitness

With prelims always on the brain and stress over how to possibly graduate in four years with the right classes and stellar internships it is easy to send “me time” flying out the window. Break can be your perfect chance to shed some of those pesky freshmen fifteen pounds, or work on that six-pack you’ve been craving.

1. Hike the Plantations. Did you know the Plantations have more than just the well-paved loop around the pond? Try following the Cayuga Trail (denoted by orange stripes on trees) for an eight mile hike that starts at Stewart Avenue, goes through the Botanical Garden, the Plantations, over Fall Creek and loops around vast meadows you didn’t even know existed. Make a day of it and bring along a sandwich for a picnic lunch.

2. Campus Run Without Mobs of People. If you haven’t noticed our campus is “gorges” in the fall. Take advantage of the fact that everyone is gone and go jogging through campus in peace; free from backpack-toting zombies.

3. Try Sunrise Yoga. Don’t even know exactly what yoga is? No problem! Simply search “Yoga for Beginners” on YouTube, walk to the top of the Slope and enjoy a relaxing session while watching the sunrise over West Campus.

4. Go for an icy plunge. If you feel like a quick morning dip with no one around to object then break is your prime time. Afterwards you have a great excuse for several hours of bed-lounging and binge-watching.

Fun

What would break be without some relaxation time? For those of you looking to add some excitement to a rainy, class-less Friday here are some ideas. Remember, Netflix will always be there when you get back!

1. Have you seen the Polar Bear Burger? If not, go to the Johnson Art Museum and check out the stranger lobby art installations or go to the fifth floor for a spectacular, Instagram-worthy view of campus and Cayuga Lake.

2. The famed Ithaca Farmers’ Market. With locations at both East Hill Plaza and the wharf the market is brimming with everything from food to crafts to artists. How about getting an early start on Christmas shopping?

3. Gazing into the heavens. Spend an evening at the Fuertes Observatory and enjoy a spectacular view of the star-studded sky. Even better, bring along a thermos of hot chocolate for company.

4. Chip away at 161 things. Make The Cornell Daily Sun’s infamous list of tasks every Cornellian should do before graduation your homework over break. Print out the list or buy the poster from The Cornell Store and keep track of your progress to gloat to friends upon their return.

I am a sophomore Communication major at Cornell University, with minors in Creative Writing and Law & Society. I was born and raised in California and, besides writing, I have interests in 4-H, law and film production. At Cornell, I serve on the Literature Review, am an avid member of Film Society, work as a Cornell Ambassador and participate in AWC (American Women in Communication). I am also the Campus Correspondent for Cornell's Her Campus chapter!!