The Single Collegiette’s Guide to Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Valentine’s Day—or, as I’ve heard it called, “Single’s Awareness Day”—is here! While being boyfriend-less isn’t the end of the world, it does kind of suck on a day that celebrates love and relationships. But who says only people in relationships can have fun?! Instead of sulking around this year, snuggle up with one of these suggestions and make sure your Valentine’s day doesn’t suck!

Don’t torture yourself. If the sight of cuddling couples and love-struck college students is going to make you sick this Valentine’s Day, you may want to try avoiding the usual hotspots. To avoid feeling sorry for yourself and your singleness, stay away from nice restaurants and intimate settings. Instead, go for dinner with your other single friends at a casual, well-lit location!

Dress it up! One of the best ways to make yourself feel good is to make yourself look good! Why not wake up on Valentine’s Day and dress it up a little? You deserve it! Putting a little more effort into your appearance can do great things for your self-esteem and confidence.

Treat yourself. Just because you don’t have a significant other to buy stuff for you this Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean you can’t indulge! There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself to chocolate, sweets, or whatever else you’d want someone to buy for you. (And be sure to check out all the stores with discounted candy on the 15th!)

Have fun with your friends. Whether you play a game of “Secret Cupid” with your friends, watch a romantic sitcom, or go out to get dinner together, Valentine’s Day is always fun when celebrated with close friends. Take a little time to celebrate with those you love all year round.

Remember: It’s just a Tuesday. The most important thing you should remember about Valentine’s Day is that it is just that…a day! Being alone on February 14th is really no different than being alone on the 13th or on the 15th! Try not to make it into a bigger deal than it has to be. Once you find the right guy or girl for you, there will be plenty of awesome days to make up for this one!

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.