Natalie Raps for President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

You’ve heard the name, you’ve heard the song, you’ve heard the slam on Ivy Gate… but do you know the real Natalie Raps? 

Natalie is running for Student Assembly President after three achievement-packed years of experience dealing with women’s issues, the appropriations committee, and public relations. If she wins the election, she will become the Cornell student body’s first female president in over five years. But strangely enough, she first joined the S.A. on a whim.

“Never before in my life had I had anything to do with student government. I ran against 23 other freshmen and barely snagged the third seat open for Freshman Representative. Since then it has been one of the best experiences I have ever embarked on,” she says of her burgeoning political career.

When she’s not parodying SNL skits to promote her political campaign, Natalie is just a down-to-earth junior government major from Maryland. You can find her on campus eating Statler salads with her best friends or sipping coffee in Libe Café, which she calls her “second home.” As a tour guide, she stays current in Cornell affairs and relates her love for Cornell and S.A. to potential Cornellians before they even commit to joining the student body. Besides this, Natalie is an active member of the Jewish community and Hillel on campus.

But S.A. might be the biggest part of Natalie’s life at Cornell. Currently one of two women on the S.A., Natalie served twice as Arts and Sciences Representative and recently became Vice President of Public Relations–the only woman on the S.A. Executive Board. She worked successfully to revive the Women’s Issues Committee, on which she served as chair, and is now the liaison for the Women’s Resource Center.

“Being a woman on Cornell’s campus is empowering,” Natalie says. “There are so many opportunities and doors open for women on this campus, and since there are countless women and men who are committed to furthering the role of women in our community, it gives me great pride to be able to be part of a community that values and appreciates women.”

Among her most innovative ideas is her work with the M.E.S.S. express taxi service, which provides students with a prepaid card intended for cab rides. The card even includes tip. The service will be expanding in the spring to create an additional safety network for students as they go to and from the library, parties, or other such venues at night.

Although she’s had a lot to gain from her rapid ascent to political accomplishment, Natalie is more than anything an advocate for the Cornell student body. If elected, she will speak out for any student organization that needs a voice. “Devoting countless hours to help better my University…has truly let me appreciate… working to help improve the lives of others,” says Natalie. She hopes to continue on this path after graduation, advocating for those who lack the resources to voice their own grievances as a civil rights lawyer.

Just the facts:

Why are you running for President?
I am running for President because I think I can use my position to continue to further opportunities on this campus for all students, enhance their own voices and truly bring about change for the community and the people I care so much about.

1. I will improve communication across channels, both on campus and online. I will focus on mobilizing the student body through a new social media S.A. website launching in March. I will also place a greater emphasis on transparency within the S.A.

2. I will continue to make sure that our students are happy and healthy by advocating for a mental health day off every Spring semester and continuing to work to bring a pub to campus, as an extension of the Cornell Caring Community initiative that I spearheaded last Fall.

3. I will continue to improve safety initiatives and advocate for better late-night transportation options on campus.

(whole platform on voteraps.wordpress.com)

If you could change one thing about Cornell right now, what would it be?
Better late-night transportation options for all students: allowing a safe ride for anyone who feels unsafe no matter where you are or what time it is. (Not necessarily completely feasible to be changed in one year but there is room for compromise and I pledge to work my hardest to make late night transportation options available to students.)

What is your proudest accomplishment?
Creating the Cornell Caring Community Celebration, which helped bring hundreds of students together to bring the conversation of mental health to the forefront of both student and administrative agendas.

What is it like to be a woman in power on campus?
I am not sure “power” would be the right word to describe me. Instead, I think I am able to help evoke change on campus by being creative, determined, yet willing to compromise. I love being able to listen to student’s issues and concerns and figuring out the best way to go about bettering our University. It feels great when real change has been accomplished and you know you have worked your hardest to better serve your fellow students and community members.

What is your favorite class and why?
GOVT 3281 (Constitutional Politics)– It was the first time I realized I wanted to go into law and become a civil rights lawyer, bringing the passion I have for bettering the student body at Cornell to those that have not had access to the same privileges I am lucky enough to have had. Also, Professor Chutkow is an amazing professor. If you have the chance to take her class please do!

Thoughts on Nelly for Slope Day:
Amazing; I am already placing my order for grillz online.

Best part about going to Cornell:
1) I have met the most amazing people here.
2) Every time I walk to class I feel as if I am living in a picturesque postcard.

If a genie lamp showed up on your doorstep and you got one wish, what would it be?
World peace- oh, wait, is that too cliché?

Lyrics to the rap:?
[Interviewer] We’re sitting here today with SA Presidential Candidate Natalie Raps
[Natalie] Hello.
[I] So Natalie, what’s it like running a full presidential campaign?
[N] Do you really wanna know?
[I] Please, tell us.

[Natalie]
I won’t flake Cornell ‘cause your issues be concernin’
Up and down ho plaza yo problems I be learnin’
(Damn Natalie, you a big red chick)
Yo, can’t you see, I wanna be your pick!
Want you’ta be heard, yo voice I’m supportin
Bring it up ova tea wit president skorton
What you want Natalie? (Be safe at night!)
What you want Natalie? (Go call blue light!)
Need a woman in power ta deal with any glitches
Nat Raps on the mic you know its me bitches [bleeped out]
Got me beaming, it’s what I’ve been dreaming
Yo’ future SA Prez, from the clocktower I be screaming

[I] So Natalie, can you tell us a little more about your platform?
[N] Whatta you wanna know?
[I] Any aspirations you’d hope to fulfill in your term?

[Natalie]
Well if I… psshh scratch that, WHEN I get elected
I’m gunna make sure da student body’s more connected
Dinos and Dunbars? Naw, I got da hottest club
Student Assembly will become Cornell’s central hub
All you townies, you know I’m talking to you
(We love you Natalie), I wanna help you too!
(R!) It’s for Raps! (R!) It’s for Reform!
Im gonna get your vote Im even coming to your dorm

[I] Wow Natalie all this from a Cornell Undergrad?
[N] Oh. I’m just getting started
[I] Go on…

[Natalie]
What part of my campaign do you want me to flaunt
If I am in office yawn indoors all you want
At libe caf wit a latte, CTP wit a hottay
I got the student handbook tatt’ed on ma chest

[Iceburg]
Natalie, you are a big red chick (hell yeah~!)
I know I can find you late night at Willard Straaaaight (What!)
And as for the handbook, well that is kinda weird, but I find it kinda sexy tooo

[Outro]
[I] Hokie doke… Natalie, one final question. Are you willing to shave your head if you win this election?
[N] No more questions

What!

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.