HCC Guide to Campus Housing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

The housing season doesn’t have to be stressful. This handy guide will help you choose the best spot for you—without having to dive into a nerve-wracking scramble to form the best block or beat out another interested group to sign a lease!

NORTH CAMPUS
 You don’t have to leave North behind after freshman year. There are plenty of housing options there for upperclassmen, too. Keep in mind the perks of living on North: RPCC, Appel, and Helen Newman are all within walking distance (Mongo, anyone?)

By applying to be an RA, you can get free housing and half off a meal plan—something to consider if you’re on limited financial aid! Plus, you get a chance to show off your leadership skills.

If you have a penchant for animals, music, or performing arts, then you should definitely consider applying to live in a program house on North, such as Ecology House or Akwe:kon. Program houses focus on specific interests to build a solid residential community spirit through the multitude of events they put on throughout the year, such as open-mike coffeehouses, plays, and culture nights. Nathalie ’13, who lives in Risley, says “I never thought I would be into the activities here. But I’ve participated in so many activities I wouldn’t have otherwise, like acting in the Rocky Horror Picture Show or visiting the in-house print shop!”

Others, however, have had mixed experiences. Allie ’13, who moved to Ujaama during her sophomore year, said that although she liked her single a lot, “sharing a bathroom with six other girls was inconvenient” and “the first time I had a conversation with anyone in my unit was in May, on move out day.” Despite this, however, she did say that there are opportunities to mingle with fellow house mates, like during Sunday night Unity Hours, in which house members discussed issues affecting the African American community.

To prevent such an experience, it’s a good idea to attend Program House Days (Jan. 27 – Feb. 6; various locations on North) so you can check out all the various houses and see which one fits you best. You can also apply for an out-of-house membership if you’re interested in the activities the house offers but prefer to live somewhere with more upperclassmen.

WEST CAMPUS
An appealing array of upperclassman housing is also available on West Campus. Located at the bottom of Libe Slope, West Campus is comprised of five houses (some of which have older buildings called “Gothics” associated with them).  The houses are a very new addition to Cornell, with the oldest being a mere seven years old, so the rooms are incredibly clean and modern. There are plenty of different types of rooms to choose from, ranging from singles and doubles to suites that typically house five people and have a bathroom and common room.

I have lived on West for the past two years, and speaking from personal experience, it is so great to not worry about landlords, rent, or spotty internet, as some of my friends have endured in Collegetown—although we do share the common problem of having walls that are too thin (trust me, I can hear what the neighbors next door are talking about). Though the feeling of total independence isn’t quite there, West Campus is definitely a far cry from North Campus culture, and it’s only a few minutes away from Collegetown so you don’t have to feel like you are completely missing out on what your friends are doing for the weekend.

Though the Gothics tend to have a more gloomy air to them and are considerably older than the other houses, Kira ’13, who lives in a Gothic, actually prefers the ambiance. She says, “I love the collegiate atmosphere of the Gothics, and their accessibility to the rest of West Campus.” Gothics residents tend to feel “left out” when it comes to activities occurring in the main houses, but remember that all West Campus residences are associated with one of the five main houses, so make the effort to participate in as many events if you can if you want to get involved, even if it means trekking to the main house (which is only a few feet away!)

The West Campus House system is unique in that it really tries to capture the intellectual spirit of Cornell within a residential space, so don’t be surprised to see some of your professors sitting next to you in the dining hall and striking up a conversation. In fact, on Wednesday nights each house’s dining hall transforms from a casual place to grab a bite to a fancy dinner decked out with linens and special menus. These House Dinners give residents an opportunity to dine with house professors and special guests, as well as mingle with other house residents.

Programming options vary house-by-house. Outings range from trips to the Farmer’s Market or New York City to attending shows on campus at discounted rates, and some houses even collaborate so that more West Campus residents can get to know each other. And, of course, there are always activities going on in each house. Last year, my roommates and I got to go on a day trip to Niagara Falls and this year, we owned the competition during a house trivia night, just to name a few options.

For those of you who aren’t exactly master chefs in the kitchen, West is a fantastic place to live. All West Campus residents have unlimited meal plans, which means there is no need to carefully ration out meals each week, and since each house has its own dining hall and 24/7 pantry (which is very handy for those late night study breaks), sustenance is always accessible. Plus, Noyes is next door, so the gym, as well as Jansen’s Market, are a mere few steps away from your dorm.

Although West Campus housing is most popular amongst sophomores, especially since the housing lottery rules changed to favor rising sophomores last year, any upperclassman can live on West Campus. West Campus residents who want to continue to live on West can apply to be a Student Assistant (the West Campus equivalent to an RA) or, if you are really involved on campus, an Active Citizen (Active Citizens are guaranteed a bed in the In-House lottery, and they can block with other residents in their house). If you are a junior or senior, it is always a good idea to make sure you have a few friends on or near West, because it tends to be quite sophomore-centric.

Language House: A cross-breed between a Gothic and a program house. Associated with Alice Cook House, the Language House gives students the opportunity to improve their conversational Arabic, French, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, Japanese, or German. The Language House means business: you must apply to live in the house and prove that you have conversational language skills down pat. Members practice their speaking with fellow housemates at four dinners a week, plus a conversation hour. The house even plans spring break trips to further allow residents to practice their languages, such as to the Dominican Republic or Taiwan.

Be aware that the Language House doesn’t foster total cultural immersion, as Katie* ’12 says that “people in the houses all tend to speak English with one another outside of dinners and other prescribed activities.” Also, the house itself has its drawbacks. While Katie says her double is “larger than the one I had in Bethe [a house on West] last year,” the kitchen is “huge” and lounges are plentiful, the bathrooms are “disgusting” and there is no air conditioning or elevators. Even so, she says that her housemates are “really nice” and that “everyone gets along and has a lot of fun together.”

CO-OPS
Co-ops are also a great on-campus housing option, especially for budget-conscious students. The nature of Cornell’s eight co-ops are very diverse, because some house both undergraduates and graduate students, some are women only, and some have their own meal plans. Additionally, each co-op has its own unique dynamics, because all are self-governed by the residents. Residents are expected to carry out the daily tasks pertaining to their house, including cleaning and cooking, so community building is necessary to ensure all house functions run smoothly. If you think a co-op is a great choice for you but want to know which one would suit you best, attending the Co-op Mosey (Feb. 5) is a must.

OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Sheldon Court, Cascadilla Hall, Schuyler House, 112 Edgemoor, 122 McGraw Place, and 600 University Ave (14 South Ave. is also a dorm for upperlevel students, but will not be available after this year) are other Cornell-run housing options. The former three houses are traditional dormitories that house many students, while the latter three are considerably smaller houses. With most locations in Collegetown, these residences allow students to have a taste of freedom while still maintaining a dormitory style function. Dining options range from traditional meal plans, debit meal plans that offer some dining hall meal swipes coupled with Big Red Bucks, and City Bucks, which are like Big Red Bucks that you can use at pre-approved off-campus restaurants and grocery stores. Shamsi ’13, who lives in Sheldon Court, says: “I love living in a dorm but at the same time experiencing life in Collegetown. I’ve definitely become more independent living off-campus.” But not all of these houses are created equal. Schuyler House, which is located on State Street, is quite a walk to campus, and is pretty removed from central Collegetown.

APARTMENTS AND HOUSES
The ultimate form of freedom and responsibility can be found through living in an apartment or a house. But this is also the riskiest option. Some love living off campus. “I love living in Collegetown because I have the independence of apartment life yet complete access to everything I need. I am close to campus, restaurants, and the rest of my friends,” Megan ’13 says. But others aren’t so fortunate.  Jenna* ’13 says,“I have had so many maintenance issues with my house, and my landlord isn’t that responsive to calls. Make sure you scope out the place before you sign a lease!”

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.