Don't Be Sad About Seasonal Affective Disorder

Posted -

As daylight savings time came, students realized that as they got out of their 2:55-4:10 classes, the sun was setting. With this change comes a change in mood on campus. The days are becoming colder and shorter as exam-period approaches, when students will spend most of their time in libraries around campus. Everyone seems more tired and stressed with the shift, yet it is imperative to not let seasonal affective disorder make you miserable.

Sara, 19, says, “After daylight savings time, I always feel my mood change. I can never wake up for class and I am always tired and cold.” She deals with her mood shift by exercising more. She says, “Literally exercise is the only thing that keeps me sane during the winter months at Cornell.  I don’t even enjoy exercising that much, but the endorphins keep me happy.” Because students are not as active in the cold winter months are they are during the summer, pushing yourself to go to the gym can keep you happier and healthier.

Similarly, eating well may help you combat S.A.D. Tasha, 20, says, “Normally I don’t care what I eat, but when it’s really cold and dark at Cornell, it’s so easy to go home, crawl into bed and eat junk food. I always then end up feeling even worse the next day. When I eat healthier, I just feel better and happier all around.”  Eating healthfully can help to keep your mood positive and happy, as well as increasing your chance of fighting off illness.

Listening to happy and upbeat music may also help you keep positive as you trek through the dark and cold to class. Maria, 19, says, “For my 8:55 class, I blast music as I am walking to get me pumped up. It is so easy when it’s too early and too cold to skip your early classes, but you really can’t let your attendance fall because the weather is bad.”

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login