December/Winter Break Movie Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

With winter break posing the bright light at the end of the finals tunnel, here are seven box-office candles that will happily illuminate chilly December days:

For a little adventure…

Wild, December 5th

Join Reese Witherspoon’s grieving character as she embarks on a 1,100-mile trek through vast plains, over snow-clad slopes and through the tangled bramble of forests. Wild is a touching documentary about finding solace in simplicity and company in solitude. 

For modern romance…

Life Partners, December 5th

Best friends, Sasha and Paige, navigate the murky waters of modern dating through their tight-knit friendship and quirky adventures. Sasha searches for her perfect girlfriend, while Paige pursues her Prince Charming. Life Partners is RomCom with a 21st century flare.

For a good laugh…

Top Five, December 12th

Comedic superstar, Chris Rock, brings the story of a washed-up comedian who decides he is done being funny. In this lighthearted film, he must branch into his new serious persona while coping with the very public life if his reality TV star wife.

For the annual Middle Earth dose…

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, December 19th

Bilbo and Company are back! Not only are they forced to fight a bloody war, but they must also keep the ever-cunning Smaug from obliterating Middle Earth. The Hobbit is surely poised to be the motion picture event of the holiday season!

For a trip down memory lane…

Annie, December 19th

A modern take on the classic tale, the archetype of orphan meets tycoon is set in the streets of New York City. A ruthless businessman, played by Jamie Foxx, finds himself in the public eye after happening upon the street-savvy Annie. The two forge both a strategic partnership and, ultimately, a heart-warming bond.

For a remembering a hero…

Unbroken, December 26th

In this Angelina Jolie directed masterpiece, the tale of Louis Zamperini, American Olympian and prisoner of war, is beautifully recounted. Unbroken depicts unfathomable strength against all odds and the power of the mind to overcome even the greatest bodily tribulations.

For a winter’s eve haunt….

Into the Woods, December 26th

Flaunting her spooky side, a devious witch (played by Meryl Streep) adds the “moral of the story” to various fairytales you think you know all too well.  Into the Woods offers a horror flare to everything from Little Red Riding Hood to Cinderella to Rapunzel. 

I am a sophomore Communication major at Cornell University, with minors in Creative Writing and Law & Society. I was born and raised in California and, besides writing, I have interests in 4-H, law and film production. At Cornell, I serve on the Literature Review, am an avid member of Film Society, work as a Cornell Ambassador and participate in AWC (American Women in Communication). I am also the Campus Correspondent for Cornell's Her Campus chapter!!