A Cornellian’s 5 Valentine’s Day Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

February 14 is, once again, looming on the horizon. An entire day predicated on applauding love: an indescribable bond between two people proclaimed globally, in every method from thoughtful prose to grandious gestures. We realize we are not alone in the journey of life by celebrating what we already know to be true.

I, for one, find myself succumbing to a tingling sensation and constant thoughts infiltrating my mind as I think about the person I would like to be “my Valentine.” I suppose that’s the power vested in this annual day; an ocean can literally separate us, but even my rational inklings cannot overtake the euphoria his image provokes. Fortunately for us, and many other people dealing with distance or even sharing Ithaca, Valentine’s Day is more than confirming a physical connection that resonates somewhere so deep within us that even words cannot adequately describe it.

This year I challenge you to do something spontaneous, yet thoughtful, creative, yet artfully clichéd. Here are a five V-Day hacks to make 2015 one for the records:

1. Remember to be yourself.

It is easy to get caught up in the expectations of the big day. Anxiously, you want to chart every minute and reach that coveted “ideal.” But on Valentine’s Day morning you’ll be the girl he’s drooling to spend the day with, and at the end of the day, you’ll be the one who leaves him grinning. By being yourself you will not only remind him of the incredible girl he fell in love with, but also the day will take on a much more relaxed tone and you both will be able to savor each others’ company.

2. In the digital era, handwritten is more chic than ever.

Good, ol’ fashion love letters will have something texts never can: personality. You know that special way you dot your I’s or cross your T’s? We don’t all sound the same when we speak nor do we take on a monotone robotic voice. We each have our own pitch and “funny” way we say certain words. Although writing may never entirely encapsulate all of your personality, letters certainly grasp more strokes of your flare than 12pt Times New Roman can.

3. Expensive dinners and gifts are overrated.

Have you noticed how much our campus resembles a Narnia-esc movie set come winter? Embrace this winter wonderland with your special someone. Be his “snow queen” and go for a sleigh ride (… I mean a drive) through the Plantations. Pack a thermos of hot chocolate for a warm treat to sip side-by-side. You don’t need a stuffy, five-course meal or lavish necklace to make the day optimal. It’s the creative flings that will allow the day to linger in your memory for years to come.

4. Take a risk…. Or two.

Relationships are an interesting juxtaposition of required trust and certainty, mixed with the almost illicit desire for spontaneity. Go out of your comfort zone – buy the sexy lingerie you’ve been eyeing, or tell him this year you’re choosing where you dine. Guys love to be surprised and see the more “dangerous” side of you. Plus, you will be proud of yourself for ditching the flannel jammies for once!

5. Don’t stress!

I cannot emphasize this one enough. Setting Valentine’s Day expectations too high will make the day seem like a failure. Try resolving to not give one another gifts this year, for example. Imagine the huge relief of not being worried about the awkward situation when you get him that really expensive watch he’s been eyeing only to find he just bought you some chocolates. As I said before, the day is already dripping love. You don’t need to worry about it not being romantic, so relax and go with the flow.

Best of luck this V-Day ladies, and keep in mind that you are his Valentine. There is no need to prove a thing!

I am a sophomore Communication major at Cornell University, with minors in Creative Writing and Law & Society. I was born and raised in California and, besides writing, I have interests in 4-H, law and film production. At Cornell, I serve on the Literature Review, am an avid member of Film Society, work as a Cornell Ambassador and participate in AWC (American Women in Communication). I am also the Campus Correspondent for Cornell's Her Campus chapter!!