Cooking Off Campus: Apples to Apples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

As a general rule, I refuse to eat apples unless it’s September or October and they were grown in New York State.

This probably makes me a snob. But as those of you from New York know (and those of you not from New York will soon discover) very little can beat the taste of the humble apple in apple season. So carpe diem! And seize some apples, too, because there’s a lot of eating and slicing and picking and baking to be done in the next few weeks.

To really enjoy the full apple experience, you should go apple picking. And what better way to celebrate surviving prelims that by grabbing a few of your friends and spending a few hours outdoors. Check out this link to find orchards where you can pick apples (and other fruit too)!

If you don’t want to go all the way to the orchard, but you still want some local apple fun, check out the Ithaca Apple Harvest Festival in the Commons today, tomorrow, and Sunday! It’s within walking distance, and a great reason to pay a visit to the Commons. You can buy apples, cider, and donuts, along with a variety of yummy lunch food, and a selection of crafts. It’s an opportunity to see Ithaca at its festival best.

And once you get the apples home, even more fun begins! You can eat them by themselves or smother them in caramel or nutella. You can bake them with meats or bake them into pies. You can make apple crisp or applesauce.

Simple Homemade Applesauce

Oh look! An applesauce recipe!

Serves 2

2 large or 3 medium apples
2/3 cup of water
2 Tbs sugar
generous sprinkling of cinnamon

Wash, peel, and slice your apples. Cut them into one-inch cubes, and place them in a small saucepan. Add the water, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir.

Cover the pan and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Mash the apples with the back of a fork. Either enjoy your applesauce hot, or put it in the fridge to cool. Feel free to sprinkle it again with cinnamon to decorate. And enjoy!