Change Your Look From Day to Night – In 15 Minutes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

So you’ve just gotten home, you don’t have much time before going out, and you really want to look your best. Don’t waste time re-applying a whole face of makeup. We’ll show you how a few quick touch-ups can take you from day to night in less time than it takes to walk up Libe Slope!

Step 1: Prep
Use a washcloth to remove daytime face makeup (powder, concealer, etc.), while leaving eye makeup intact. Sweep an eyelash brush through lashes to de-clump completely, and apply a thin coat of mascara to reawaken your eyes and freshen your mascara.

Step 2: Eyes
Brown: Darken your daytime shadow to a deep, warm brown, applying it darker on the outside corners of your lids. Sweep a light gold or shimmering cream under your eyebrows and near the inner corner of your eyes. Darken your eyeliner to black, making it thicker near the outer corner.
Green/Hazel: Darken your shadow to a deep plum or brown in the crease and lid, growing darker as you move out to the outer corners. Lavender or gold makes green eyes stand out, especially if you apply it near the inner corners.
Blue: A bronze-tan is a good look for the nighttime. Sweep it over your daytime eyeshadow. Line with dark brown or black on the top and bottom and be sure to apply mascara to the bottom lashes.

Keep eyes subtle during the day.

Turn your daytime eyes into a sultry look for night.

Step 3: Cheeks/Face (Apply more than during the daytime!)
Pale skin: Try a bronze-tone coupled with a bubble gum pink. Blending these two gives you a soft, slightly sun-kissed look. God knows we need this living in Ithaca.
Medium skin: Try a medium bronzed blush coupled with a raspberry tone. Play with mixing the two depending on your mood.
Dark skin: Try a deep cherry or plum color applied lightly to highlight bone structure. You can also try a medium pink applied higher on the cheekbone for a brighter, more awake look.

Step 4: Lips
Pale skin: A soft pink-coral is a good look. Be sure to finish with gloss. Fill in your lips with a nude lip pencil first if you want your lip color to last longer.
Medium skin: The nude-lip look looks great here. You can adjust any lipstick you have to be more nude by blending it with your foundation…sounds weird but it lasts longer and when used with lip gloss, you have just created a new, nude shimmering color!
Dark skin: True red looks amazing. Try a matte finish or a dab of gloss on the bottom lip only.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.