7 Tips for a Better You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

We all make New Year’s resolutions. We promise to eat more healthy food, study all the time, or go to the gym more often. But on campus, it’s way too easy to get distracted from our goals. Here’s a list of 7 strategies to help you stay on track for the rest of the semester!

1. Buddy Up! 
Sticking to your resolution may be tough, but there’s nothing like having a friend or two to help you through your moments of weakness. In my case, a workout buddy has been great for me. There are plenty of times that I would rather skip the gym to watch TV, but knowing that I’ve already made plans to meet my buddy at the gym gives me an added nudge to get going. Whether you’re trying to drop a few pounds or trying to cut back on swearing, having a friend who can work toward your goal by your side is a great help.

2. Tell a Friend
Friends can really help to motivate you when the going gets tough. Even if they aren’t working towards the same goals that you are, it can definitely be a good help to have someone hold you to a specific standard.

3. Use a Calendar
Using a calendar to track your progress can be a big help. Being able to physically see your progress as time goes on is a great way to keep your resolution alive and strong. Knowing that you’ve been working toward your goal for a while is definitely something to be proud of!

4. Create Mini Goals
A year is a mighty long time to wait (especially since we have 366 days this year) and setting mini goals can help you avoid feeling too overwhelmed. Instead of waiting for Dec. 31st to celebrate your accomplishments, you can jump for joy when you reach the end of each week or month.

5. Reward Yourself
All work and no play makes Jenny a dull girl…or something like that! My point is, there’s nothing wrong with rewarding yourself for a job well done. Every time you reach one of your mini milestones, reward yourself with a night out or a delicious meal.

6. Accept Your Mistakes…and then Move on!
We’re all human, and mistakes are to be expected. When you find yourself slipping up, try hard not to beat yourself up about it. That being said, be sure to get back on track as soon as you can. Making a minor mistake is not a good enough excuse for forgetting about your resolution. If you fall off the wagon, jump back on and keep going!

7. Stop Making Excuses!
Being back on campus can definitely affect your progress, but be sure to be accountable for your actions. At the end of the day, your resolution is a way to help develop yourself. If you don’t put in the effort, you won’t achieve your goals and you’ll find yourself regretting it.

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.