7 Fluff Reads for Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

If you’re anything like me, at this point in the semester your brain is completely fried. If you’d like to take this school break as an excuse to read some books for fun but don’t have the mind capacity to focus on intense storylines, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Here’s seven fluff reads you’re guaranteed to enjoy!

1. To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han

What it’s about: This story follows hopeless romantic teen Lara Jean. Whenever Lara decides she’s done with a crush, she’ll write him a letter, address it and then stick it in an old mailbox under her bed. When all of her letters somehow get mailed, Lara has to deal with the aftermath of all her ex-crushes reading her 100% honest feelings about them, among other things.

Why you should read it: This book is a quick and easy read. Both funny and heartfelt, you won’t want to put it down. There are also two other books to this series if you really like it. It’s also scheduled to become a major motion picture, set to air in 2018.

2. A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

What it’s about: Gabe and Lea are two college students stuck in the same creative writing class. Although they seem to have chemistry, both are too scared to make a move, so friends and outsiders decide to help them out.

Why you should read it: This will-they-or-won’t-they novel is full of cute moments. In addition, it’s told in a completely original and unique way, following the viewpoints of all the witnesses of Gabe and Lea’s relationship (from their roommates to a Starbucks barista) instead of Gabe and Lea themselves.

3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

What it’s about: Before her senior year of high school, Anna’s parents decide to ship her off to a fancy boarding school in Paris. The novel follows Anna’s struggles to make friends and start a life in the City of Lights, as well as resist her feelings for the ever charming Etienne St. Clair.

Why you should read it: This book is another light and captivating read and the perfect binge-read book. There are two other novels in this series, each just as fun and sweet. The Paris setting allows lots of fun adventures and provides an exciting and lively tone to the novel.  

4. The Problem With Forever by Jennifer L. Armentrout

What it’s about: Mallory and Rider grew up in the same abusive foster home. After getting placed into new families, the two reconnect years later, still dealing with old scars from their traumatic past. But can they help each other out or have they already grown too far apart?

Why you should read it: This book deals with deeper topics than some of the others on this list. It’s written in a way that will leave you emotionally attached to the characters and the story (it even made me cry). This is perfect for when you don’t want a book that makes you think too much but still gives you something to connect with on a deeper level.

***Trigger Warning: This book does contain scenes dealing with domestic and substance abuse.

5. Things We Know By Heart by Jessi Kirby

What it’s about: High school senior Quinn Sullivan is still struggling with the death of her boyfriend, Trent. To cope with her loss, she decides to reach out to all of the people Trent’s organs were donated to. However, when Colton, the recipient of Trent’s heart, refuses to write back, Quinn takes matters into her own hands. As Quinn and Colton get closer, things become more complicated, especially since Colton has no idea how they’re connected.

Why you should read it: This is another light yet heartfelt book. Readers can learn a lot about both hope and strength from the main characters. It also contains the perfect amount of drama without reaching soap-opera level cheesiness.

6. Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

What it’s about: This book is essentially a break-up letter from Min Green to her ex Ed Slaterton. The book begins with Min dropping off her break-up box at Ed’s front door. Each chapter follows a story from one of the items in the box, all items that inevitably lead to their break up.

Why you should read it: This book is written by the same guy who wrote ASeries of Unfortunate Events. It contains a unique writing style and is also beautifully illustrated. Readers will be both captivated and frustrated to find out how such a seemingly passionate relationship ended so badly.

7. Literally Any Colleen Hoover Book

What they’re about: Anything written by Colleen Hoover is basically a rom-com in book form. My personal favorites include It Ends With Us and Maybe Someday. They cover a wide range of topics and back stories, so you’ll have plenty to choose from.

Why you should read them: These books are perfect for someone looking to dive into the New Adult genre. Well written and easy to read, they’ll leave you emotionally attached and tearing through the pages. These books also have a nice balance between romance and a substantial plot, something that can be hard to find in New Adult books.

***Trigger Warning: Some of these books contain scenes with abusive relationships (involving a family or significant other).

Happy Reading!

Sophomore studying Food Science at Cornell University.
Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell