5 Noteworthy Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

In just about a month we will all be anxiously packing our bags for the most celebrated week of the year: Spring Break. But in order for the excitement to begin, plans must first be made. Deciding on a destination can be tough but, as the clock is ticking, needs to be finalized shortly. Here are five Stellar Break spots to wet your appetite and vie for your consideration:

Soft Beaches- Cancun

Pros: “Spring Break Culture”, all-inclusive resorts, great club scene, warm beaches, Caribbean sun

Cons: Long (with connections, about 12 hours) trek to get there, crime outside of resort communities, not much to do in the way of site seeing

Escaping Ithaca’s sure onslaught of April showers to the tried destination of Cancun, has a particular appeal. Reigning as the most marquee Spring Break destination, it will be brimming with college-age beach parties. And with a legal drinking age of 18, no club is off limits. Additionally, Cancun is largely comprised of all-inclusive resorts toting perks like unlimited beachside icy, fruity beverages for an all afternoon tanning session. Better start getting to work on that bikini body!

Scandalous Blackjack- Las Vegas

Pros: Inexpensive accommodations, wide variety of shopping, plenty of shows to see

Cons: Visiting as an under 21 is fairly prohibitive, constant “craziness” can get old after a few days

The “adult Disneyland” Las Vegas promises a Spring Break rich was glamor and, hopefully, winnings. Be warned, however, that this Western desert gem is notable for being among the most stringent destinations for policing fake IDs. That said, the city can still be fun for the under 21 crowd too– with multiple roller coasters, shows ranging from Cirque de Soleil to David Copplefield, shopping malls in every hotel, an excessive amount of delicious dining, etc. Additionally, the business model of Las Vegas is based on encouraging gambling by bringing as many clients to the city as possible, thus you’ll find top-notch hotels at shockingly inexpensive prices. Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!

Savoring Baguettes- Québec City

Pros: Relatively close, good variety of sites and activities, different culture

Cons: Expensive cost of living, may have poor weather

Ithaca is close to Canada, right? Québec City, within a short flight, might be the perfect “local” destination. Enjoy all French culture has to offer without making the trek across the Atlantic. Picture yourself sipping a café au lait or munching on a freshly-baked croissant. The city also has its share of historical sites for those looking to have a slightly more intellectually stimulating break. Only one question remains: parlez-vous français?

Sleepless Boroughs- New York City

Pros: Tons to do, boredom is not an option, doesn’t require flights, proximity to Hamptons for a beach day

Cons: Very expensive, finding good and cheap accommodations is a challenge, questionable weather

Who doesn’t want to spend the week in the city where dreams come true? New York City offers it all: innovative cuisine, award-winning museums, renowned Broadway productions, acres of Central Park and shopping for days. Best part is it is only a bus ride away! NYC makes for the perfect destination for anyone looking to get their fix of urban adventure with the city’s applauded non-stop excitement.

Stunningly Beautiful- Reykjavik

Pros: Unique, relatively inexpensive compared to Europe, good nightlife and site seeing

Cons: Less of an emphasis on the young Spring Breakers demographic, may be chilly

Europe is too far, NYC is too close, Caribbean means sunburning and no way am I staying in Ithaca. Here’s one we bet didn’t cross your mind: Greenland! It’s not as far or Europe and you will certainly be able to claim you had one of the most unique Spring Breaks. Plus, Reykjavik is a hub of many inexpensive youth hostiles which are sure to be packed with fellow breakers looking to share your spirit for adventure. This year, why not take the road less traveled?

I am a sophomore Communication major at Cornell University, with minors in Creative Writing and Law & Society. I was born and raised in California and, besides writing, I have interests in 4-H, law and film production. At Cornell, I serve on the Literature Review, am an avid member of Film Society, work as a Cornell Ambassador and participate in AWC (American Women in Communication). I am also the Campus Correspondent for Cornell's Her Campus chapter!!