3 Sweet Ways to Make Every Day Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Who says Valentine’s Day should only be once a year? No matter what your relationship status is, here are some ways to treat the special people in your lives. What better way to show someone you care about them than to go straight for the heart? (And by heart, I mean stomach.) Here are a few treats that are sure to impress!

For the Couple: Whether you’ve been dating for one month or three years, surprise your sweetheart with their favorite snack! Michelle ’14 knew her boyfriend loved chocolate-covered pineapple, so she found out where she could order him some more.

“I ordered him a dozen of those from Edible Arrangements and threw in a box of dipped apples and strawberries too,” Michelle said.

As Michelle’s story shows, listening to all the little things that someone says can make all the difference in a relationship. If your honey says he likes bacon, then order him a bacon arrangement (they actually exist!) or try your hand at baking bacon cookies — they aren’t as bad as they sound. One of my best friends told me that guys really love when girls pay attention to what they like and dislike, especially when it comes to food!

“I think a guy wants to know you know what he likes,” Mike ’12 said. “If you’re going for the ringer, you find out his favorite food. To be honest, if I woke up in the morning to a plate of bacon on the table, I’ll be off to the jeweler that day.”

For the Crush: I’ve always felt that originality is a great way to make a first impression. This Valentine’s Day I wanted to impress one guy, so I made chocolate ducks and dinosaur shaped cookies with two of my best girl friends. I’ve always thought that you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression, so I wanted to do something cute. And seriously, what guy doesn’t love dinosaurs and chocolate?

“It’s a good first gesture if you don’t really know the guy well,” Mike said.

According to Mike, guys like to know that they are special and you aren’t giving the same gift to three other guys. So giving a guy a special treat when it’s not V-Day makes you look that much more original!

After getting the cookies and chocolate, my crush told me they were “the best Valentine’s treat possible.” So, there you have it! Maybe the quickest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

For all my single ladies blasting Kelly Clarkson in your dorm rooms: What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and being alone won’t kill you. I’ve found that I’ve gotten to know myself so much better when I’m not worrying about getting to know someone else instead.

Being in a relationship means being emotionally responsible for someone else. While that can sometimes be a stabilizing thing, other times it can make a girl forget who she is. Trust me, I’ve been there. So make yourself a good meal (and maybe even a drink), curl up with a favorite movie and treat yourself to some quality me time. 

Elisabeth Rosen is a College Scholar at Cornell University with concentrations in anthropology, social psychology and creative writing. She is currently the co-editor of Her Campus Cornell. She has interned at The Weinstein Company and Small Farms Quarterly and worked as a hostess at a Japanese restaurant.