10 Ways to Decorate Your Dorm for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Cornell chapter.

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, it’s officially socially acceptable to openly celebrate Christmas. What better way is there to get in the holly jolly spirit than decking the halls?

Even if you can’t fit a tree into your dorm, you can still decorate your space. For a festive break from studying for finals, here are 10 ways to decorate your dorm for the holidays.

1. Evergreens

What screams Christmas more than evergreens? Throw fake greens on your desk, your windowsill and around your ceiling or door. There can never be too many!

2. Twinkly lights

If your dorm room already has twinkly lights, you’re well on your way to a festive room. Hang some extra lights up, and your room will be perfectly cozy.

3. Fake snow

If you want to bring winter into your room without actually having to be cold, fake snow is your new best friend. Buy a pack at the store, fluff up cotton balls or cut snowflakes from paper. Regardless of how you do it, your room will be an instant winter wonderland.

4. Window clings

Stores like Target and Walmart usually have gel window clings that come in festive shapes. Slap some snowmen and snowflakes on the inside of your window, and everyone walking by will know you mean Christmas business.

5. Candles

Candles in house windows are classic when it comes to Christmas decor. If you want to get the classic exterior Christmas look without burning your dorm down, buy a fake candle and put it in your window. Extra points if the light bulb flickers.

6. Garland

Whether you need a simple decoration to spice up your room or you need the right piece to bring your many decorations together, a garland is perfect and easy. Many stores sell garlands in every shape from mini trees on a string to one that spells out Merry Christmas.

7. A wreath

If you want the world to know about your Christmas cheer, hanging a wreath on your dorm room door will help show your inner Christmas fanatic to everyone who walks by your room.

8. Bedding

On a cold winter night after a long day of studying, a fun Christmas blanket will keep you snuggly, festive and warm. Better yet, tuck yourself in under festive sheets and keep the cheer going all night long.

9. Air freshener

If your favorite thing about Christmas is the smell of gingerbread or a real Christmas tree, head over to the Ithaca Mall and buy a plug in air freshener from Bath and Body Works. They come in all kinds of festive scents that might even make you believe it’s Christmas morning and that you’re not in your dorm room.

10. Mini tree

Of course the best thing to get you in the Christmas spirit away from home is a Christmas tree. Most stores like Amazon, Target and Walmart sell miniature trees this time of year. They’re the perfect addition to any dorm room desk. Maybe you’ll even wake up in the morning to a mini present from Santa underneath it!

Elizabeth Li

Cornell '19

Junior at Cornell University and President/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Cornell