Where In the World is Shain?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Operation “No Pain, No Shain.” is underway with construction moving full steam ahead! Some things we can look forward to when it reopens are: enhanced technology, an updated Blue Camel Cafe that will have a 24 hour study space, more outlets for your electronic chargers (because let’s face it, there’s nothing worse than your computer dying on you mid-paper), and more group study spaces. As excited as we are about the great renovations being done on our beloved library, the lack of a central study spot can be a bit of a headache. Read on to learn more about checking out materials, finding computer labs, and snagging the best study spots to make your year a little easier! 

Checking Out Materials

1. Go to http://libraries.conncoll.edu
  2. Search the item you’re looking for in the blue search box
  3. From your search results click the name of the item you’d like to check out, and on the right hand side of the following page click “Request Materials”
  4. Materials are requested by logging in with your Camel ID number and last name, then clicking “Request item from Shain Library shelves” 
  5. Click “Submit” and you’re all done! As long as you request your materials by 4 p.m., they’ll be available for pickup the next day at the Library Reference desk in Ernst Common Room 

Library Services and Technology 

• Computers-Blaustein first and second floors, Greer Music Library
  • PC Classroom-Knowlton Dining Room 
  • Interlibrary Loan, Library Circulation, and Library Reference-Ernst Common Room 
  • Printers-outside Hood Dining Room, Ernst Common Room, Greer Music Library, Main Street East (in the Plex), and Knowlton Dining Room 
  • IT Service Desk: Hamilton Basement 

Study Spaces

• Coffee shops: Coffee Grounds, Coffee Closet, Ruane’s Den, and Blue Camel Cafe. 
  • Rooms in Cro: 1941 Room, Alice Johnson Room, Cro’s Nest, Cro Room 224, and Oasis Snack Shop
  • Lambdin Game Room
  • Hillel House: Basement, Great Room (when not reserved), or Conference Room (when not reserved)
  • Dorm Common Rooms 
  • LGBTQ Center (Burdick)
  • Women’s Center (Burdick Basement) 

Be sure to check out www.conncoll.edu/shainreno for updated information on the renovations, as well as the live webcam feed streaming them!

Susannah is a senior at Conn Coll finishing up her Psychology and English double major with her Religious Studies minor. Susannah loves finding new music on Spotify, watching romantic comedies, and practicing yoga. Fresh out of the oven cookies are her greatest weakness rivaled only by her love of online shopping.