Understanding What Feminism Is Really About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Feminism can be a confusing and polarizing topic because of the warped perceptions of its meaning. Just to be clear, feminism is not about hating men or devaluing classically feminine behavior. It is about equality and the recognition of the challenges women face because of their gender.

Recently Thought Catalog, an online journalism site with open submissions, published the article “I Am A Mother of Two Children and I Cannot (And Will Not) Support Feminism.” This piece garnered substantial backlash, as well as two responses, “To The Mother Who ‘Can’t Support Feminism’ While Raising Her Sons” and “You Should Raise Your Sons To Be Feminists.”

Tara Kennedy-Kline, the author of the first article, creates an argument that relies on the assertion that while at one point she may have considered herself a feminist, she no longer is able to after raising her two sons. She continues to explain how (her perception of) modern feminism discourages all levels of chivalry and “suppresses masculinity.” Citing various social movements and organizations that promote a feminist agenda like Hollaback! and #FreeTheNipple as problematic because of their supposedly radical agendas, Kennedy-Kline mourns the loss of respect for traditional gender roles. 

She warps the mission of Hollback! by stating it “sends the message that if my sons make eye contact with, or say “hello” to, a woman they don’t know, they are a predator.” This is far from the truth. Street harassment is a very real issue and is based off much more serious claims than men saying hello to women, like when women are murdered for  standing up to men who verbally assault them. 

Kennedy-Kline supports her attack against feminist ideology with statements like “I do not believe that opposite sexes can ever be completely equal, as there are very specific limitations for each gender.” What she fails to recognize is that these limitations are socially constructed by the patriarchy to hold women back. 

While she laments over the loss of traditional feminine values, the truth is that modern feminism includes ample room for these ideas. Women should be able to choose whatever life path they desire, and if that includes being a housewife there is nothing wrong with that. Feminism is for all women; an intersectional approach is necessary to recognize the struggles of those besides white, middle-class women who have in the past controlled feminism. Intersectionality addresses the inequality that minority groups face in relation to gender disparity. 

It is so important to spread awareness of the real message of feminism. “Feminist” is not and should not be a taboo term. By truly understanding and promoting feminism, women and men alike can help to build a more progressive society.

Her Campus Conn Coll