This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time in Costa Rica, and I just love the wide range of fun activities to do there. Although this country is well known for its rainforests, the beaches are also quite amazing and should not be overlooked.

One of my favorite spots to go is Playa Dominical, thanks to its laid-back atmosphere and central location. It’s also a great place for surfing, with several places to rent boards or take lessons located right along the beach.

There are a surprising number of restaurants in town, so if you can’t decide what to get, I highly recommend Phat Noodle (an out-of-this-world food truck) and the laidback café Mono Congo. Dominical also has a nice variety of bars, from Latin dance clubs to little beach shacks. And be sure to check out Fuego Brew Co., a fun restaurant, bar, and dance club that has been built to look like a giant treehouse!

If you’re looking for somewhere a little more remote, consider a visit to Drake Bay. Located on a peninsula in the southwest corner of Costa Rica, this hidden gem is only accessible by boat. Because it’s so hard to get to, the beaches in Drake Bay are relatively untouched and absolutely stunning.

It’s a fantastic spot for snorkeling and scuba diving and one of the best places in the country to see Reef Sharks and sea turtles. Drake Bay is also just an hour’s boat ride from Corcovado National Park, which boasts even more beautiful beaches and glimpses of monkeys, tapirs, sloths and other exotic animals.

Ann Monk is a sophomore from Seattle, WA, studying International Relations, Global Islamic Studies, and Arabic at Connecticut College. She hopes to eventually work on education policy for refugees who have been resettled in Europe, but in the mean time, she is busy playing soccer, traveling, eating Indian food, and of course, writing for Her!
Her Campus Conn Coll