Relay for Life–Fighting Cancer One Step at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

So many of us have been touched by cancer, either directly, through our friends, or through our family members. Connecticut College is hosting its annual Relay for Life this Saturday, April 19, 2014! This is a great opportunity to show your support for those who have been affected by cancer by walking, fundraising, or even just being at this great event to show your support! 

Some Background on Relay

Relay for Life is a world wide event that has raised close to $5 billion to help fight cancer in the course of its history. The relay is an organized community fundraising walk for the American Cancer Society; teams of people camp out around the walking track while members of the teams take turns walking for the entire duration of the event. The motto of Relay is “Celebrate, Remember, Fight Back” which means celebrating those who are either currently fighting or have survived their battle with cancer, remembering those we’ve lost to the devastating disease, and encouraging Relay participants to take action against cancer. There are several ceremonies that take place during the relay that represent the three parts of the motto. This first is the Survivors Lap when all cancer survivors at the event take the first lap around the track. The second is the Luminaria Ceremony in the evening, which honors people who lost their battle with cancer, those who have fought cancer, and those who are currently fighting cancer. The third is the Fight Back Ceremony which is symbolic of the emotional commitment each person takes in the fight against cancer. 

Why We Relay

Relay is so important because the money raised from the event increases the means of the American Cancer Society’s ability to research the causes and cures for cancer. The most recent data (Jan 1, 2012) showed that nearly 13.7 million Americans were living with a history of cancer (either had it currently or had been treated for it). About 1,665,540 new cases are expected to be diagnosed this year; of these people, about 585,720 people are expected to die from cancer. The money we fundraise goes to support several initiatives including research to find causes and cures of cancer, Hope Lodge (where patients can stay for free when receiving treatment away from home), Road to Recovery (a volunteer driving service to help get patients to their treatment appointments), and Reach to Recovery (matches trained breast cancer survivors with people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and are looking for someone to talk to who’s been through it). 

So How Do I Get Involved?!

There’s still time to register a whole team, register as an individual that’s part of an already existing team, dedicate a Luminaria bag for a loved one to be on display during the Luminaria Ceremony, or donate money to a member or team! The relay starts at 12pm on Saturday, April 19 and ends at midnight. All of the events take place on the Library Green (Floralia Green). Participating means not only being active for a great cause, but is an opportunity to have a great time with your friends while eating Rolling Tomato and Chipotle, winning baked goods at the cake walk, and enjoying live music from Wicked Peach!

In the evening, Her Campus will be hosting a kissing booth with some of our amazing former Campus Cuties and Campus Celebrities! Help us Kiss Away Cancer! Kisses on the cheek and hand are encouraged! Like our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram for more details about which Cuties and Celebrities will be participating. 

Support Relay for Life-Connecticut College by donating to the Her Campus team! Simply follow the link http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLCY14NE?team_id=1512053&pg=team&fr_id=58809 and then click on the orange “Donate Now” button. Every donation counts, no matter the size. We hope to see you all at Relay!!

Susannah is a senior at Conn Coll finishing up her Psychology and English double major with her Religious Studies minor. Susannah loves finding new music on Spotify, watching romantic comedies, and practicing yoga. Fresh out of the oven cookies are her greatest weakness rivaled only by her love of online shopping.
Her Campus Conn Coll