samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A New Look at New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Sometimes we have difficulty keeping our New Year’s Resolutions, and that’s because we lose sight of what we truly want, along the way.  Here are five commonly made resolutions and important things to realize in order to achieve your goals and make them more attainable!

1.“I’m going to get straight A’s this semester, no matter what it takes.”

Ambition is a very good thing – in most cases.  However, sacrificing sleep to the point where three hours of slumberland a night is considered “good”, skipping meals (especially breakfast!), or not attending important sentimental events (birthdays of closest friends, family get-togethers, etc.) is a sign that your drive may be overcoming your life.  It’s fantastic for grades to be your number one priority, but make sure you don’t neglect your mental state, emotional well-being, and health in the process!

2.“I’m going to lose 203910 million pounds when classes start again.”

Everyone claims they gain weight in the winter months (but it’s so sweet to help Santa eat all those cookies, am I right!?), so we rush to shed pounds as quickly as possible – which can be dangerous if not done properly.  Losing weight healthily takes quite a bit of time, exercise, and nutritious eating, so don’t demand too much of yourself too soon! If you are seriously interested in setting up a health plan, consider visiting a nutritionist and/or personal trainer to make sure you get the healthy, fit body you desire but in a safe way.  And in the meantime? Take a minute to be grateful for all your body does help you do: walk to class, dance the night away at a Cro dance, and do all of those other seemingly “little” things that are actually so amazing.

3.“I’m going to find a significant other.”

Ironically enough, the best way to “find” a boyfriend/girlfriend is to not actually go searching for one.  When you become invested in activities that are important to you such as a sports team or the jazz band, not only will you make new friends to fill any social void that could be causing you to search for a relationship in the first place, but also when you do meet that special person, you will able to let him or her know all the wonderful ways in which you’re involved with your community! Being an active participant is highly attractive, and you’ll also wind up surrounding yourself with like-minded people in the process! No #foreveralone needed, because by discovering new interests and nourishing the old, you won’t be.  If you first develop the qualities in yourself that you wish to seek in someone else (organized, athletic, goal-oriented, classy, generous, etc.), you’re bound to wind up in two relationships. Yeah, you read that right: one with a significant other… and most importantly, one with yourself!

4.“I will be less/more social.”

It’s really all about balance.  Too much social time can send you straight to academic probation, whereas not enough social time can send you straight to recluse territory! As long as you make sure to get your work done you can socialize, guilt-free. A great way to feel like you’re being productive while still spending time with others is to join a club, sports team, or religious organization. Or, start a study group with others in your class – just make sure to keep the non-course-related talk for after the study sesh!

5.“I will stop watching reality television/playing Candy Crush/etc.”

Hey, guilty pleasures calm us down and make us feel recharged when we finally do sit down to write that ten-page paper!  The important thing is to partake in these activities in moderation.  Learning to negotiate with yourself is an acquired skill, but it’s so incredibly worth it.  Write that paper first, then indulge in an hour (or two) of your favorite thing because, guess what!? You deserve it!

We hope you have a happy New Year, and we wish you the best of luck achieving your goals!

Brooke loves being a bookworm and listening to bands you've probably never heard of. *smirks* She is an English major with a concentration in creative writing who aspires to either work at a fashion magazine or become a college professor for creative writing/English. Cake decorating and baking in general are her favorite things in life besides her pug dog who is her main man. One day she'll marry Holden Caulfield, and they will live happily ever after!!!!! Oh, fun fact: She has her real estate license so if you need to buy a house or apartment, she's your woman. xx
Her Campus Conn Coll