National Disability Employment Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

October has been officially declared to be National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) by President Obama! NDEAM has been previously recognized over the past several years as a national campaign that raises awareness about disability employment issues and celebrates the many and varied contributions of America’s workers with disabilities. In President Obama’s proclamation on September 30, 2014 that made NDEAM official, he stated that “Americans with disabilities lead thriving businesses, teach our children, and serve our Nation; they are innovators and pioneers of technology.”  Despite Obama’s statement, about 85 percent of the almost 5 million U.S. adults with disabilities did not have a paid job in the past year (Bloomberg.com, 2014). The theme for 2014 is “Expect. Employ. Empower.” These three words remind us that everyone has a right to dignity, respect, and a fair opportunity at success in the workplace.

What can you do?

You should check out and support the Connecticut College Best Buddies chapter! Best Buddies is an international non-profit organization that promotes not only equality for people with disabilities, but also friendships between individuals with and without disabilities. Best Buddies International also has a jobs program. Best Buddies Jobs is a supported employment program that secures competitive paying jobs for people with disabilities. The program develops partnerships with employers, assists with the hiring process, and provides ongoing support to the employee and employer.

At Conn, the Best Buddies club is basically a club for friendship. Conn students are paired up with individuals with intellectual or developmental disabilities and the club puts on events like pizza parties, bowling, and movie nights for everyone to just have fun, socialize, and make friends. The club also focuses on spreading awareness about disability equality. Be on the lookout for Best Buddies campaigns such as the Friendship Walk fundraiser and Spread the Word to End the Word, a campaign asking for people to pledge not to say the word ‘retarded’ due to its negative and hurtful connotation to those with disabilities.

Help build awareness for the National Disability Employment Awareness Month and for Best Buddies at Conn so that those with disabilities can live fulfilling and successful lives that everyone deserves.

“Meaningful careers not only provide ladders of opportunity into the middle class, but they also give us a sense of purpose and self-worth.  When Americans with disabilities live without the fear of discrimination, they are free to make of their lives what they will.  This month, we renew our commitment to cultivate a more inclusive workforce, and we continue our efforts to build a society where everyone who works hard has a chance to get ahead.” –President Obama

Her Campus Conn Coll