This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Ending long-time friendships is never easy and should not be. When you are best friends with someone for almost a decade, you certainly plan your future with them in it. For example, planning your future vacations with your kids, career moves, and etc. but most importantly, how you both vowed to keep in contact and not be those friends that did not see each other in years. This a public letter to my former best friend; there will be some of you that will be able to relate and those that cannot, you are truly blessed! This goes out to the best friend who you wanted to be with every waking moment, who comforted you at your worst, and who never sugar-coated the truth. Well, here it goes: 

Dear J.A.R.M,

My mom constantly asks about you and for your phone number to get in contact with you because she thinks that I ruined our friendship with my opinionated and sometimes hot-tempered personality. Honestly, I do not even know how it ended and I never received closure. You were the OG BEST FRIEND OF ALL TIME. We were together 24/7, and everyone thought we were either 1.) dating 2.) almost dating or 3.) cousins. In reality, no one really understood that we were just simply like brother and sister. We would fight like siblings and at the end of the day, we knew everything would be resolved. I knew I was not easy to handle and for that, you deserve a billion trophies. I want you to know that I appreciate everything that you have done for me, like spending TWO DAYS on a train to come visit me in college, being the best prom date, making epic birthday cards that I would look forward to every year, and for riding with me in the roller coaster of what is life. You were always a phone call away and never judged me regardless of what ridiculousness occurred. Now that I’m a full-blown college student, it sucks that I cannot share with you important secrets/details and that I know nothing of your current life (except for when mutual friends put you on their snapchat story). Well, I’m going to Italy next year which you know was always a dream of mine and it saddens me that I will not be able to discuss it with you *starts crying*. When I go back home, I have to deal with not being able to hang out with you even though you live a couple minutes away. I still remember the first time we became friends (which should be part of history books because it was legendary) and ponder “wow, I think I found my soulmate.” Now, I desperately look for you in my other friends. I was so blessed and I wish that everyone was at least half the friend that you were. We jokingly made a secret pact for when we were thirty years old that will probably not be fulfilled. I am still not over you. We never dated but honestly it is one of the worst breakups I went through. You deserve so much happiness (lots of it). I just hope you are truly at peace with yourself. After reading this letter, I’m not asking for a phone call but rather an awakening. I hope you understand that I cherished our friendship and that you find everything that you are searching for. I hope that you fall in love so much it hurts (of course the gushy, heart-feeling one), never feel insecure about your identity, and that you have a great group of friends that support you in every way. 

Mucho amor,

Someone that you used to know.

Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.