Ingredient Awareness in Personal-Care Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Unfortunately, the FDA does not regulate cosmetic and personal-care products in the U.S. as well as it could.  There are thousands of chemicals in products people use daily that are absorbed into the body.  Many ingredients in personal-care products have been linked to major diseases, such as cancer, which is associated with ingredients in these products causing tumor growth and cellular damage.  Some ingredients are shown to cause respiratory and endocrine problems as well as birth defects in offspring.  Other more minor, but still concerning, problems include:  allergies, skin irritation and inflammation, headaches, fatigue, dizziness, and nausea.  Further, it is important for one to recognize the ingredients in everyday care products, such as skin care, deodorant, shampoo/conditioner, soap, sunscreen, make-up, toothpaste, and nail polish that are bad for his or her health and wellbeing.

The major ingredients one should watch out for are toxic synthetic chemicals and preservatives.  Parabens, GMOs, petrochemicals, pesticides, and alcohols are also causes of concern.  Artificial fragrances and perfumes should also be avoided.  Other chemicals to look out for and avoid include (but are not limited to) phthalates, formaldehyde, toluene, triclosan, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES), propylene glycol (PG) and Butylene Glycol, coal tar, DEA, MEA, and TEA, hydroquinone, paraphenylenediamine (PPD), talc, silicone-derived emollients, polyethylene glycol (PEG), and oxybenzone.  As a general rule, products with the fewest amount of ingredients are usually better for one’s health, and big, hard to pronounce chemicals (such as paraphenylenediamine) are typically unhealthy.  Additionally, it is important to recognize that the word “natural” written on a product does not always mean the product is good for one’s health, so it is necessary to examine the ingredients.

As there are many bad ingredients to avoid in personal-care products, there are many good ingredients to look out for when making a purchase.  Generally, natural oils, organic CO2, and herbal extracts are healthy.  Some notable natural oils include argon oil, kukui oil, olive oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil extract.  Natural preservatives include raspberry seeds, calendula, rose hips, lavender, comfrey and echinacea plant extracts, and honey suckle.  Chamomile, green tea, and vitamin E are also healthy ingredients.  Mixing essential oils with water in a spray bottle is a do-it-yourself alternative to purchasing allergy-causing fragrances.

Reducing the amount of bad ingredients one uses, and replacing them with good ingredients can be very beneficial.  However, products that only contain these healthy ingredients can be expensive and difficult to find.  Some of the following companies have products with all healthy ingredients, while others have mostly good ingredients.  As stated before, just limiting the amount of bad ingredients one’s body absorbs is beneficial, so all of the following companies should be considered when purchasing products.  Most of these products can be purchased at stores like Whole Foods Market, but some are available at common drug stores.  Below are a few key and safe companies along with some of their signature products.

Lotion:  The Organic Pharmacy, Jurlique, and Ren

Shampoo/Conditioner:  John Masters Organics and Mineral Fusion

Make-Up:  Jane Iredale, Tarte, and Hourglass

Deodorant: Alba and Toms

Sunscreen and Lip Balm:  Kiss My Face

Hand Sanitizer:  EO and Clean Well

Nail polish:  Zoya

Her Campus Conn Coll