Conn’s First Official Off-Campus Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

For students at a small school, such as Conn, it is always nice to get off campus. The problem is that not everyone knows what to do or where to go! Two Conn Coll sophomores, Jeff Celniker and Greg Liautaud, have created the first official off-campus guide to help students with this predicament.

Celniker and Liautaud initially got the idea for this booklet during their freshman year. Celniker explained, “When Greg and I got on campus last year, we had no knowledge of the surrounding area. We asked around, and all of our friends in our class, as well as upperclassmen, didn’t seem to have any idea about local businesses, or anything happening off-campus.” The school’s necessity for an off-campus guide was clear to these two students, so they decided to take it on as a project of their own.

They met with over fifty businesses, all within the towns of New London, Mystic, and Groton. After reviewing the potential businesses, they boiled their list down to their favorite twenty-four. “We put a lot of time into the design and the quality of the book,” said Celniker, Liautaud added, “A diverse group of people would enjoy this book. It’s all different types of restaurants, too. People can try different things.” Plus, some of the restaurants and other businesses even added discounts for students with a Camel Card!

Most importantly, the purpose of this book is to save the student body time and energy. And it’s free! “We explored the area to make it easier for other people…we went around and found the businesses that are good so that other kids didn’t have to take the time to do that,” said Celniker. In other words, they did all the work! All you have to do is check your mailbox on Friday, October 31st, and this off-campus guide will be waiting for you!

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll