Campus Celebrity: Natalie Calhoun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.
Meet Natalie Calhoun, an environmental studies major from San Francisco, CA.  When she’s not out on the Thames with the rowing team, Natalie can be found in the CELS office or creating a delicous apple crumble dish in Harris.  Read on to discover her tips and advice for fellow camels!

Class year: 2016

Hometown: San Francisco

Major: Environmental Studies

Minor: Government

Center: GNCE

Extracurricular activities: Varsity Women’s Rowing, Fellow at the Office of Career and Professional Development

What is the most rewarding aspect of being a CELS fellow here on campus?

I love getting to meet so many first year students during intake appointments, and getting to help students work on their resumes is really rewarding when they get internship and job offers. 

What is your favorite organization that you’re a part of?

Definitely CoCoWoRo (Connecticut College Women’s Rowing). I’m a captain this year so there’s a lot of responsibility, but nothing beats the feeling of rowing on the Thames with your crew. 

Any advice for underclassmen?

Join clubs, go to dance shows, attend lectures, get involved! Being an active part of the campus community is what college is all about — plus you’ll meet great people.

Best class taken at Conn?

Philosophy of the Environment with Professor Turner. I enjoyed thinking about the environment in a new way, and learning alongside students with various academic backgrounds. 

Any special tips or advice on how to balance so many responsibilities? 

Schedule everything. If it’s not on my calendar, I’ll forget about it. It’s also important to have a realistic understanding of how much is too much and how to cut back. Don’t forget to schedule time for yourself! 

Celebrity crush? 

Buster Posey. He’s a catcher for the San Francisco Giants baseball team, and I always try to see him play when I’m home. 

What do you want to accomplish here before you graduate? 

Read every book in the library! Just kidding. I want to go camping in the arbo and write a “How-To” guide for California students coming to the East Coast. 

What is your go-to gourmet Harris creation?

I make baked apple crumble by microwaving chopped apples with cinnamon sugar, honey, and lemon. Topped with granola and whipped cream!

Favorite spot on campus?

The steps of Blaustein. I love looking out over Tempel Green and the water on a clear day. 

How do you feel about being Campus Celeb?

Surprised and appreciative. Thanks, everyone, for a great four years!
Emily Morgan is a junior at Connecticut College.  She is studying international relations and loves to write for HerCampus.  She can be found either playing viola in the orchestra or dancing in the dance studio.  
Her Campus Conn Coll