Campus Celebrity: Laura Sanderson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Sport: field hockey
Position: forward
Number: 1
Year: sophomore
Hometown: Hanover, NH

Sophomore Laura Sanderson was named the New England Small College Athletic Conference’s (NESCAC) Player of the Week for field hockey the week of September 12.   An enthusiastic and compassionate teammate, Sanderson shows her skills on and off the field. I got the pleasure of catching up with her outside the locker room. 

What made you start playing field hockey?
Everyone played soccer when I was little and I really wanted to be different. I was the youngest player in the league in 5th and 6th grade. They almost didn’t let me play because they thought I was too little and was going to get hurt, but I did it anyway. 

What have been your most memorable field hockey experiences?
-Winning Class-I New Hampshire state championship my senior year playing for Hanover High School. 
-Being named New Hampshire player of the year my senior year
-Playing in the New Hampshire v. Vermont Twin-State game. (I played against sophomore teammate KK Logan even though I didn’t know who she was! 
-Making the team at Conn

How has your experience of playing field hockey at Conn changed your dedication to the sport?
It’s made me see field hockey in a more serious light. In high school we wanted to win but it was more fun first, while college is more serious. It is a bigger commitment in college- not only committing yourself but committing to the team, coaches, and school. You’re playing for a lot more in college than in high school. 

Favorite opponents?
Trinity is always fun to play.

Inspirations?
My high school coach Jean Essex. She played at Boston College and was another mom to me during season.  She is definitely one of the best coaches I’ve ever had. I still keep in touch with her and my team now. 

Major?
Psychology major with an elementary teaching certificate

Career aspirations?
I want to be a teacher and am also really interested in social psychology, so maybe a family therapist- anything with kids.

Hobbies?
Singing

How you’re involved on campus?
Accapella- ConnArtists, volunteering in New London schools

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.