Camels of the Week: 2016 Fulbright Scholars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s featured Camels: 2016 Fulbright Scholars! These awesome Camels were selected to receive the prestigious U.S. Fulbright Student Program grant to teach English abroad.

Name: Jessie Durning

Hometown: Winnetka, IL

Major/Minor: I am a double major in American Studies and Human Development. I am also in the Education Teaching Certification Program.

Extracurricular activities/hobbies: The Shwiffs, REAL Staff (ILC of the Ridge), SAC, Advancement Fellows

Fulbright Country: Thailand

Was there any specific experience that affected your decision to apply for a Fulbright Grant?

Over the last six years, I have been lucky enough to study abroad in both Mona Vale, Australia and Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Both of these experiences opened my eyes to the benefits of living and studying abroad, which ultimately affected my decision to apply for a Fulbright Grant. Also, I love to compare the different educational systems and strategies used around the world and I hope to continue doing this while abroad in Thailand.

What advice would you give to Conn students who are hoping to apply to  Fulbright in the future?

Work with Dean Dreher! She is the Associate Dean for Fellowships and Scholarships and is extremely helpful and kind. She hosts numerous workshops related to the Fulbright Grant and is always willing to meet one-on-one. Even if you’re just thinking about applying, I would recommend reaching out to her to discuss the grant.

What are you most looking forward to during your English Teaching Assistantship?

I am most looking forward to meeting my students. This semester, I student taught in a second grade classroom and the absolute best part was getting to interact with such unique and creative students each day. I cannot wait to meet my students in Thailand and learn about their experiences, perspectives, and culture.

What has been (or was) your most memorable moment while at Conn?

Wow, so many moments to choose from. Recently, I’ve really enjoyed just hanging out with my close friends at the Ridge and celebrating our last few weeks together on campus.

Name: Kaitlin Cunningham

Hometown: San Anselmo, CA

Majors: Slavic Studies, international relations

Extracurriculars: ConnArtists acappella group, Russian tutor, advancement fellow, SafetyNet

Fulbright country: Georgia 

Visiting Georgia while I was studying abroad in Moscow–it was an unforgettable experience and I knew I had to go back! 

Apply to a country you really feel passionate about living in for a year, not to the country you think is “right”

Learning Georgian! 

The annual Slavic studies department end of the year party. 

Name: Stephanie Reeves

Hometown: Hampden, MA

Major/Minor/Center: Triple major in Neuroscience, Slavic Studies, and Dance. CISLA Scholar.

Extracurricular activities/hobbies: I like to sew my own clothes and visit Russian bathhouses in NYC

Fulbright Country: Russia

Was there any specific experience that affected your decision to apply for a Fulbright Grant? I studied abroad in St. Petersburg and then interned in Moscow at a neuroscience lab this past summer through CISLA. I have fallen in love with the country and its people! 

What advice would you give to Conn students who are hoping to apply to Fulbright in the future? Apply to a country you are passionate about or have experience with. If you can speak the language, that is a major plus — language is the bridge to understanding culture.  

I’m excited to teach English at a Russian university, but I’m perhaps even more excited to make new Russian friends, learn slang, take dance classes, travel the Trans-Siberian Railroad, volunteer at hospitals, GO TO THE BANYA (<3), and so on. I'm excited to be in a place where I can share my Americanness and learn more about Russianness. I'm excited listen, absorb, and squeeze everything I can out of my precious 10 months. 

Name: Kevin Ith ’14

Hometown: Bridgeport, Connecticut            

Major/Minor: Government Major, History Minor

Extracurricular activities/hobbies: CCASA, Honor Council, Unity House

Fulbright Country: Azerbaijan

I’m currently an AmeriCorps volunteer at a charter school in Bridgeport. I enjoy teaching, but also wanted to gain experience internationally which led to a Fulbright ETA. 

Never doubt yourself, take time to self reflect, and use Conn’s resources. Dean Dreher, Conn’s Fulbright adviser, and other professors, assisted me with the Fulbright process—drafting personal statements, my statement of grant purpose and writing recommendations. With perseverance, Conn’s constant support, and a little bit of luck, anything is possible!

I look forward to teaching in classroom outside the US, traveling, learning a new language, and immersing myself in a new culture!

Senior week!!

Name: Leela Riesz

Hometown: Northhampton, Massachusetts

Major/Minor/Center: Anthropology major and Hispanic Studies minor. CISLA Scholar.

Extracurricular activities/hobbies: MissConduct, Souled Out initiative

Fulbright Country: Spain

Name: Taryn Kitchen

Hometown: Norton, Massachusetts

Major/Minor/Center: Latin American studies, Holleran Center for Community Action and Public Policy Scholar

Extracurricular activities/hobbies: Student teaching six-grade at New London’s Dual Language and Arts Magnet Middle School

Fulbright Country: Mexico

For more information about the  scholars:

https://www.conncoll.edu/news/news-archive/2016/six-awarded-us-fulbright-grants.html#.Vyz1EcdbCt8

Hallie is a Junior who enjoys writing for Conn Coll’s Her Campus chapter! Not only does she love the fact that she shares the same initials as Her Campus (HCXO!), but she loves being part of the Her Campus Conn Coll community, as well as having the opportunity of integrating her passion for photography, journalism, and pop culture throughout her posts. She is currently on the executive board of Her Campus Conn Coll and manages the twitter account.
Her Campus Conn Coll