Camel of the Week: Spencer Lutvak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet super-camel Spencer Lutvak! This senior is hyper-involved on campus, working multiple areas of study, involvement in the arts, and other extracurriculars. Spencer was gracious enough to share with us his experiences performing on and off campus, as well as some other fun facts, including his experience with fostering kittens! 

Hometown: New York City

Class Year: 2016

Major/Minor: Theater (major), Dance and Math (minors)

Extra Curricular Activities: Theater/Dance Department shows, Scuds (long-form improv), Wig and Candle (student theater), New Music Ensemble

A little birdy told us that you didn’t get involved with dance until very recently. How did that begin?

I’ve always enjoyed dancing, but dance was never presented to me as something you could study, in or out of school. I took Movers and Shakers with David Dorfman sophomore year and knew that I needed to continue. I also began playing music with Richard Schenk in dance classes and that just fed my need to take more classes.

Another little birdy told us about a recent performance you had with one of Conn’s dance professors in NYC over spring break. Spill the beans!

These birds know what they’re talking about. David invited me to perform with his company (David Dorfman Dance) at the opening day of the Met Breuer, the new Met museum on the Upper East Side in NYC. His son and I look very similar, so he wanted us to do a “brother dance.” Basically, we walked into middle of the outdoor performance and people (even the security guards) thought we were rudely interrupting. But then we started dancing a duet so everyone was in on the joke. I am extremely grateful to have had such an exciting opportunity to dance with David and his talented company.

What has been your favorite part of being in the theater department at Conn?

It’s very difficult to pick one aspect. When I first got to Conn I knew I was going to my find my people in the theater department and I was absolutely correct. I think part of what makes the Conn theater department so unique is the professors. Whether in class, rehearsal, or office hours, each professor is so generous and insightful in all aspects of theater and life in general.

What are you doing for your theater capstone?

I am acting in Mud, a three-person play written by María Irene Fornés, an amazing Cuban-American playwright I learned about in class with Ken Prestininzi (she was his mentor). I am acting alongside two other seniors, Mattie Barber-Bockelman and Dave Socolar; Teresa Cruz, also a senior, is directing the play. Part of what makes this a new challenge for me is that I will be playing both male roles in the play. So the first night I will be playing one role and the second night Dave and I will swap.

Do you have any pre-performance rituals, for theater or for dance?

I generally like to listen to music that has nothing to do with the show so I can get some alone time. I also now finally understand the importance of stretching/warming-up before a show.

Tell us about your Tedx Talk!

I did a Tedx talk last Saturday about fostering kittens. I started back in 2005 for my Bar Mitzvah project and my family has continued to foster kittens to this day. It’s been 281 kittens over 11 years! For the talk I spoke about the first kittens we had and then also about what I’ve learned from the difficulty of having to give the kittens back.

What is your favorite memory from your time here at Conn?

It’s a tie. One is the first show I was in at the beginning of freshman year. It was a devised show so we worked with David Jaffe to create it ourselves. I was so lucky to be immediately immersed in the community and creativity of the theater department in my first semester. The other memory is from being at orientation my sophomore year. Returning from the summer and sitting on the green with friends in the beautiful weather officially confirmed for me that Conn was exactly the right place for me.

Favorite place on campus?

Top of Tempel Green, looking out at the water.

Favorite meal from Harris?

I love when they make Caesar salad.

Favorite play, to perform and/or watch?

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee; How I Learned to Drive by Paula Vogel

If you could meet any actor or actress, who would it be?

Steve Carrell, Amy Poehler, Kevin Spacey, Chiwetel Ejiofor. Can’t pick one!

Any plans for after graduation?

Working at my old theater camp for the summer, then most likely moving back home to NYC. There are so many things I love to do that I haven’t yet made concrete plans. Making art is a must!

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll