Best and Worst Dressed at the Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It has almost been a week since last Sunday’s Oscar ceremonies, which has given me time to resonate about the best and worst dressed.  Overall, I didn’t think that the red carpet show was particularly exciting; a let down from the amazing looks from last year.  Everyone managed to look pretty boring, which was surprising after a year of red carpet hits.  However, here is a list of the several ladies that managed to pull it together, and those who unfortunetely, did not.

Best

1. Octavia Spencer – This was definitely the best look on the red carpet as this Tadashi Shoji sequined gown came together in all the right places.

2. Gwenyth Paltrow – Paltrow looked statuesque in her white Tom Ford dress. And I’m pretty sure that she is the only person that can pull off a cape on the red carpet.

3. Angelina Jolie – I don’t think anyone will forget Jolie’s leg at the Oscars, but she looked amazing in her black Versace gown.  If only Brad Pitt would cut his hair.

4. Jessica Chastain – “The Help” star looked amazing in this Alexander McQueen dress.  I loved the gold detailing that was reminiscent of the Renaissance.

5. Michelle Williams – A lot of people are mixed about this dress but I loved it.  The coral color added color to the otherwise neutral red carpet and I really liked the peplum waist.

Worst

1. Natalie Portman – The shape of this Dior dress was flattering, however, I’m not sure why anyone would choose to wear polka-dots to the Oscars.

2. Emma Stone – Emma always looks amazing but I was disappointed by this Giambattista Valli dress.  The large bow at the neck was too overwhelming and the shape of the dress was unflattering.

3. Shailene Woodley – I’m not sure what I think is wrong with this.  The shape is flattering and I like the long sleeves but I think the cut-outs looked awkward and the braided-looking section running down the middle was off.

4. Sandra Bullock – This Marchesa dress was an awkward shape and I didn’t like how it was half black, half white.

photo credit: http://media1.onsugar.com/files/2012/02/08/0/192/1922398/359c770a7e3d071…

Katherine is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in European history and minoring in film studies. She spent her last semester abroad in Rome and loved it, and then interned this summer at Marie Claire magazine in New York City. Katherine is very excited to be joining the Her Campus team!