2014 People’s Climate March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

“To change everything, we need everyone.” That was the motto used for the biggest climate march in history that took place this past Sunday, September 21st. It was reported that over 655,000 people marched around the world. The walk in New York alone took up 80 blocks and filled the streets with people looking like sprinkles as they marched along all fighting for the same cause. 

The mission of the march was to express the message that the global community must unite in order to solve current and future environmental problems. Change can occur but only if the global community connects. Moreover, this idea is not so far-fetched: “We are demanding the world we know is within our reach: a world with an economy that works for people and the planet; a world safe from the ravages of climate change; a world with good jobs, clean air and water, and healthy communities.”

We asked marcher Carina several questions about her experience:

What it was like to be a part of such a historical moment?

Carina: “It felt amazing to be among so many like minded people. We came together to take a stand for what we collectively believe needs to be addressed by world leaders by marching and creating a huge statement.”

What was the best part of the whole experience?

Carina: “The best part of the whole thing was the moment of silence for all victims lost to and dealing with climate change.”

Only a serious issue makes the city that never sleeps sound silent. With the amount of people marching, we can only imagine how fragile and reflective that moment must have been. This huge coming together allows the world to realize the complexity of the issue.

It is our world; it is our problem. Everyone needs to be on the same page with that. We can and need to make a difference. Marches like this make it the importance of global involvement known.  

Could not march either but interested in making a difference? Start with a green change to your daily routines. Reuse, reduce, and recycle. Turn off the lights when you leave a room, BYOB – bring your own bags! Say no to plastic, take a cloth bag grocery shopping, and do not leave the water on when brushing your teeth or cleaning dishes. Helping the climate is something we cannot choose to be lazy about. It is our home that we’re fighting for. “To change everything, we need everyone,” and that means you. 

Sophie Furman is a current senior at Conn Coll majoring in Sociology and interested in the fashion industry. 
Her Campus Conn Coll