10 Things to Expect When Coming from a Large HS to a Small College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Coming from Miami, Florida where public high schools with 3,500-4,000 students are common to a small NESCAC school where the population is just under 2,000 is UNREAL. The transition between two different environments is definitely a culture shock. If you are currently having the same experience or just a prospective student from a larger HS school looking into a small college like Conn, here’s what to expect:

1. Big HS: Rushing to class to find a seat in your big HS or the thought that someone might get your unassigned assigned seat.

Small College: Some classes are so small that you sit around a table and sing kumbaya.

2.Big HS: The lunch lines were too long so you would have to eat your unsatisfying lunch quickly in like 5 to 10 minutes OR leave class early so you would not have to wait that long.

Small College: Unlimited food and unlimited time is such a privilege/luxury for me.

3.  Big HS: When sometimes coming late to class was OK because not many people noticed or no one cared that you were absent (except your bestie of course.)

Small College: EVERYONE NOTICES AND STARES. Professors will even email you of why didn’t you come to class.

4. Big HS: Walking through the hallways and pushing everyone out of way to get to class.

Small College: Where’s everyone? Why isn’t there barely anyone outside? No classes today or something?

5. Big HS: When never getting any of your preferred elective classes for the year like cooking or art because TOO many people signed up.

Small College: Take two art classes while you are at it.

6. Big HS: Taking classes with unaccredited teachers because of budget cuts and never learning anything.

Small College: Personalized attention and you learn more in one class than your entire high school career.

7. Big HS: Teachers are always monitoring exam time because, in any given population, there WILL be someone that cheats, mostly because classes are so big.  

Small College: Professors trust you.

8.Big HS: Sitting in alphabetic order because the teacher wants to ‘get to know all the students’ and the ONLY way to ‘get to know all the students’ is by having assigned seats the whole year…..

Small College: Picking a seat is like an unlimited buffet and you feel like a bo$$.

9.Big HS: Getting impersonal letters of recommendation based on classroom behavior and grades from class NOT about your character.

Small College: Class is so personalized that they sometimes know your character, likes, dislikes, and your whole life story.

10. Big HS: Most of class time involves quieting everyone and going through attendance.

Small College: Discussing the lesson in the first minute of class.  

Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.
Emily is currently a senior attending Connecticut College. She is a Biology and English double major. Her interests include community service, lazy days in bed watching movies and hanging out outdoors with friends. Like her interests, her taste in music and movies is all over the place. She has had an amazing four years here at Conn College so far, and is excited and nervous about being much closer to the REAL WORLD!