photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

You’ve Got to Love Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

So, it seems as though fall’s coming in fast, faster than most of us would’ve expected. Suddenly, the wind’s blowing cool and the leaves are changing colours, forcing us to question where the hell summer went. If you’re anything like me (and I hope you are), you’re ready to welcome fall with an I’ve-been-waiting-for-you-so-long embrace. Not only does its brief yet (so entirely) satisfying presence work to encourage and somehow intensify the importance and inevitability of change, it also invites a sort of calmness and acceptance with it. Before you crinkle your brows in disbelief, let me explain.

Now, fall brings with it signs of change, change that is both necessary and unavoidable. This, for some of you, might parallel certain signs of change in your own life. What I mean by this is summer’s over. You can grieve all you want for now, but it’s a fact, a fact that might force you to leave behind experiences that had you deeply and entirely in love with summer. These experiences can refer to a summer fling, a staying-out-all-night routine, or a laissez-faire attitude. After all, we’re technically on break from all the chaos that accompanies school during the summer. Because of this, what accompanies fall is more like a wake-up call, reminding us that what we left on hold in April must now resume. It’s a change we’re willing to make but one that isn’t as easy as we hope. So, adjustments need to be made and a familiar I-need-to-be-serious attitude is re-adopted.

It might sound discomforting or even cause you to feel sad and nostalgic over such a transition, but in reality, we always learn to accept it. I mean, at least we’re given the opportunity to witness such beautiful changes in nature. The rays of different colours, the warm-ish temperature with a defined splash of cool wind, and just that sort of calm ambience can be so satisfying. That combination is one that has a good amount of us looking forward to its introduction every year.

Plus, and this is a huge plus, with fall comes two awesome holidays: Thanksgiving and Halloween. You already know this but I figured it needed to be included because there’s no way that this doesn’t attract and excite most people. Pumpkins all over the place, little kids excited over picking out and dressing up in costumes, and then some well-needed family time that’s meant for us to remember our history and give thanks for all of our good fortune. It’s definitely a time to look forward to. You’re seriously got to love fall.

Somewhat intense, somewhat carefree spirit attempting to navigate through Concordia's English Literature program. Lover of all things literature with an unceasing desire to find my own personal, unique space within the field. Acquires a totally awesome sense of humour.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.