This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Beneath dim, yellow lights, surrounded by portraits lining the beige walls, it’s not uncommon for students to occupy the comfortable couches in the old-looking common room of McGill’s Royal Victoria College residence. On Nov. 30, however, microphones and speakers were set up beside the intricately decorated grand piano, and the students snacked on samosas and coffee while listening to musicians.

After the final singer finished his performance, students trickled out of the room and volunteers began cleaning up. In an adjoining room, Natasha Chatur, a McGill student and president of Trek for Teens Montreal, sat on a couch sporting a grey tuque with the organization’s blue logo on the front. Trek for Teens Montreal’s Coffee House event had just finished.

Trek for Teens is a non-profit organization that started in Toronto in 2007 which “promotes awareness for homeless youth,” explains Chatur. She first heard about the organization when she met the Trek for Teens Toronto president at the Queen’s Conference on Philanthropy (QCOP) in Ontario last year. She said she was “extremely inspired” by the organizations goals, and “thought it was very motivating to reach out to people of (her) generation.”

After contacting the president of the Toronto chapter for information on creating a new branch, Chatur got to choose the shelters the Montreal chapter was going to donate to. She and her team picked Dans la Rue, En Marche and Refuge des Jeunes. She said they chose these three due to their age range of 12-20, which her and her team felt was close to their own age. 

Chatur explains that Trek for Teens Montreal is the first bilingual chapter, which is a great step forward to spread awareness on homeless youth. The chapter’s official French name is Animer les Ados, which means “to encourage the teens or youth.” They try to hold an event each month to raise funds. Due to exams, there will not be an event in December, but their next event should be at the end of January. It will be a skating activity which will most likely be geared towards families so that a wider audience can participate while keeping the season in mind.

“It is important to keep in mind that it is not a club, it’s not a group—it’s an actual set forth organization that does essentially pay taxes and things like that,” says Chatur. This means that anyone can get involved with the organization. Volunteers can either apply to become an executive member which include among others secretary, event planner, marketing, and finance. More information on executive positions can be found on their website. If people do not want to be an member, they can simply come help out at the shelters. On Wednesday, Nov. 30, a few of the executives and their friends went to Dans la Rue to help prepare hotdogs for this week’s lunches. “Little things like that can definitely make a difference in the larger community,” Chatur concludes.

For information on upcoming events, visit Trek for Teens Montreal’s Twitter or Facebook page. Events are usually advertised about a month in advance on social media. People are also welcome to contact any of the executives or visit the organization’s official website for more details about events or volunteer opportunities.

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.