This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Traveling is an amazing experience when well packed, but tiresome if not. Packing is an art that like everything else, takes time and planning. I usually pack a day before, and find myself stressing and running around the house thinking I forgot something. Or, most likely, I have all the things I “need” from the list I made, but the suitcase won’t shut.

I have the bad habit of always asking what if? “What if I need to change shirts? What if it gets cold? What if I decide to go for a jog?”

As if I’m going to jog.

A big part of packing is knowing what you need. Check the weather of your destination, make a checklist, and start packing at least a few days before leaving.

These are a few other tips I found to help pack for a short or long trip.

1. Roll, Don’t Fold

You’ve probably heard this before, but it’s true. Rolling your clothes helps reduce the space used in a suitcase or backpack.

1. Versatile Clothes

Pack clothes that can be easily paired up with other items in your suitcase. Don’t pack outfits, make outfits out of what you have.

1. Leave the Products at Home

Everyone has their own daily routine, but for those who use dozens of products to those who use two, I suggest leaving them behind. Instead, you can purchase small containers and bottles (if you’re saving money, try the Dollarama,) and fill them up with what you need. This not only saves space, but if you are traveling with only a carry-on, you are also allowed to have them on the plane.

1. Wear the Heavy and the Bulky

Whatever clothes you have that’s heavy or chunky, like sneakers, jackets, boots, etc. wear on the plane there and back.

1. Makeshift Compartments

You can save space by being creative with your compartments. Stuff your shoes with socks and pile your bras. This can be done by folding them in half and stuffing underwear inside to keep the cups’ shape. If you prefer, you can also get packing cubes (they can be found on Amazon.) With these you can divide your clothes into categories and keep your luggage neat.

Plan your packing, and try to refrain from bringing things you won’t need. I don’t know how many times I stuffed my travel backpack to the brim, and didn’t use half of the clothes. Bring what you know you will need, and don’t forget to leave room for souvenirs for on the way back!

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.