Skin Cleansing Christmas Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Growing up, one of the things I really struggled with was my skin. On some days, it was so dry it would flake off when I scratched. On other days, it was so oily that, five minutes after washing, my nose was so shiny you could practically see your reflection in it. 

I’ve used countless products in my life to fight not only dry and oily skin, but also severe acne. I spent years looking for the best skin care products for skin that suffers from literally almost everything.  

Now in my early 20s, I’m happy to say that I’ve been using the same products for over two years and I absolutely love what they do to my skin. Some of them may be a little on the expensive side, which is why I put them on my Christmas list! If you’re looking for some skin-related products to ask for this Christmas, look no further. Here are a few of my must-haves:

Clarisonic Mia

My skin miracle came to me when my sister introduced me to the Clarisonic Mia. This is the most expensive product on this list, selling for about $120. Nonetheless, it’s long-lasting and worth every penny. 

The Clarisonic is an exfoliating brush which, according to its website, uses more than 300 movements per second to wash away any impurities, as well as dead skin. It comes with two removable brush heads, the brush itself and the charger. By washing away layers of dead skin, it always leaves your face feeling soft and healthy.

Instead of using your hands, simply put a little bit of face wash on the brush head and press the start button. The Clarisonic will rotate for about a minute and a half, and can be used on your face and neck. When it’s done, so are you! Just rinse away the remaining soap. 

The only negative experience I’ve had with the Clarisonic was at the very beginning, when my skin went through a “purge period.” Since the brush removes layers of dead skin and encourages new skin to grow underneath, you might find yourself with a bad acne breakout for about a week. All of the gunk trapped deep in your pores rises to the surface during this period, so it’s completely normal. Once you’re through the first two weeks, it’s smooth sailing and smooth skin from there on out. 

Replacement brush heads are also sold individually and should be replaced from time to time.

Garnier Moisture Rescue for Normal/Combo Skin

The thing I love most about this moisturizer is that it’s a gel. I’ve always found that creams sit heavily on my skin and give it the shiny appearance I’m trying to get rid of in the first place. This particular Garnier moisturizer absorbs quickly and instantly soothes irritated skin. If my skin is burning because it’s so dry, this gel has an immediate cooling effect. It’s also oil-free, which makes it ideal for those struggling with acne.

Per Garnier’s website, the Moisture Rescue series “helps to lock in moisture and block out dryness for 24 hours.” I use it in the morning before school and only have to wait a few seconds before applying makeup on top of it. That’s how fast it absorbs. It also keeps the grease at bay, which is why I think it’s the best moisturizer out there.

The antioxidant fruit water in it gives this moisturizer a light but pleasant scent. A 50g tube of Moisture Rescue, for either normal or dry skin, costs about $12, depending on the store. Most of the time though, I pick it up on sale at Walmart for only $6.99.

Cicaplast Epidermal Recovery Accelerator

A co-worker introduced me to Cicaplast by La Roche-Posay, and it’s safe to say I’m obsessed. I have a few of their products, but the most useful one for me is the epidermal recovery accelerator.

It’s basically what it says on the tin: a product that helps your skin heal faster. Everyone gets a really nasty cold from time to time, the kind that has you blowing your nose so often that your nostrils scream out in pain and turn red and dry. This product is a miracle for that. Just apply a tiny amount to the irritated area twice a day for two days and it’s healed. 

This product also works if you tend to pick at your face and create scars or scabs. Instead of taking weeks to heal, the Cicaplast heals it in days.

The best part about this product is that it doesn’t just work to heal your skin—it can also serve as lip balm. Apply this product to your lips in a thin coat once daily and say bye bye to the sting of Blistex. It comes in a thin, long tube, and doesn’t require a thick application to be effective. This makes it worth the $20.

Sarah Kossits

Concordia CA

Sarah is a 21-year-old journalism student in Montreal looking to break down some barriers and make a name for herself in the sports journalism world! She loves all things hockey, horses, and spends her free time reading as many books as she possibly can.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.