This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

When I recently found out I could no longer eat gluten, in addition to my lactose intolerance, my food-world suddenly felt very small. Celiac disease affects around 1 in every 100-200 people in North America, while gluten intolerance (more commonly known as NCGS—non-celiac gluten sensitivity) affects 5-10 per cent of people—ranging in severity. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten which causes intestinal damage, and affects the amount of nutrients the body absorbs and can often cause fatigue, anemia, weight loss, and more. The symptoms are different for almost every patient, making the disease extremely hard to diagnose and leaving many people undiagnosed. NCGS is when someone experiences similar symptoms to celiac, yet there is no autoimmune response to gluten.

Since there is no cure, the only way to ease the symptoms is a completely gluten-free diet. This meant no more cereal. No more cookies. No more bread or wraps or any of the delectable snacks I had enjoyed in the past. However, over the past few months, I have discovered a multitude of snacks that are tasty yet healthy, and most importantly do not contain the ingredients that my body hates.

Many of the snacks on this list might seem super obvious to some, yet when I was diagnosed, I dwelled on the foods I couldn’t eat instead of appreciating the ones I can still enjoy. If you’re like me and cannot eat gluten (for whatever reason), I hope you’re reminded of a snack you can still enjoy!

1. Popcorn

This is an easy, light snack that’s perfect for when you’re on the go. Because not all microwavable brands are safe due to cross contamination, bagged ready-to-eat popcorns such as Skinnypop and Angie’s Boom Chicka Pop are certified gluten-free and perfect to take to class.

1. PopChips

For another ready-to-eat certified gluten-free food, PopChips are a tasty snack. Instead of frying their potato chips, PopChips puts their potatoes in a pressurized chamber that pops their chips—hence the catchy name. This means they are healthier, with half the fat of regular potato chips. Coming in all sorts of flavours such as barbeque, sea salt and vinegar, and sour cream and onion, PopChips are the ideal light snack to satisfy all your chip cravings.

1. Almonds

I completely forgot about almonds until I received them as an in-flight snack on the plane, and, for me, they are truly nature’s greatest gluten-free snack. Packed with protein, good fats, and fiber, they are not only calorie-smart, but delicious. An excellent study snack!

1. Gluten-Free Cereals

Although there are not many on the grocery store shelves, yes, they exist! Cheerios are a childhood favourite of mine, and when I was diagnosed, Cheerios became a staple in my diet, like they were when I was a kid. Those with cross-contamination sensitivities may want to steer clear of Cheerios, since the gluten-free label was recently removed; since then, Cheerios still claims to have eliminated all cross-contamination with wheat. Other favourites of mine are Chex cereals (seven of eight flavours are labeled gluten-free), and Nature’s Path gluten-free cereal!

1. Hummus

I used to love pita chips with hummus, so I have since been trying to branch out with different hummus variations and have found celery and rice crackers to pair excellently with hummus! This perfect afternoon snack is nutritious, filling, and delicious.

1. Rice Cakes

This rather bland food is instantly turned delicious with some peanut butter or Nutella. Since rice cakes are nearly weightless, they are a great excuse to eat Nutella (also gluten-free) while studying for finals!

1. Larabars

All Larabar products, including their classic bars and the Larabar Bites, are gluten-free! Not only are Larabars delicious, they’re made with few ingredients, making them natural and energizing. They offer unique flavours, including peanut butter cookie, chocolate chip cookie dough, and apple pie. Many of their products are also dairy-free, soy-free, and vegan making them an option for everyone!

I know how difficult and annoying dietary restrictions can be, so I hope you found one of these snacks appealing! If you’re having trouble finding things to eat, I enjoy strolling around Bulk Barn looking for gluten-free things (as they actually have many chips and mixes that are certified gluten-free), or check out Amazon’s gluten-free section!

Sarah Bubenheimer

Concordia CA '22

Sarah Bubenheimer is a fourth year student at Concordia studying Philosophy, Law & Society, and Western Society & Culture. She is a Councillor for the Concordia Student Union and the Academic & Accessibility Coordinator for the Students of Philosophy Association. She is passionate about lattes, lipstick, and philosophy, and can always be found at a cafe listening to Taylor Swift. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.