Pack the Yummiest Mediterranean Inspired Lunchbox for School this Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

As a University student, I always seem to struggle with finding different healthy recipes that can be prepared quickly and are easily portable. Long days (or nights) at the library demand we get the nutrition we need, and the burrito place down the street sometimes just doesn’t cut it. Bringing your own lunch to school (even just a couple times a week) will also save you money. With some time and practice, I have developed a few delicious not-boring recipes that can easily be thrown into a portable container and enjoyed at school. Here are two of my favourite meals and one snack you can prepare to create a yummy Mediterranean inspired lunch box you’ll look forward to opening at lunchtime.  

Quinoa Chorizo Bowl

Makes two servings

Cooking the chorizo along with the rest of the ingredients adds so much flavour to this dish. However, if you don’t eat meat, the spices and flavour of the chorizo can be emulated using a half teaspoon of both hot paprika and cumin! Enjoy this recipe as a healthy lunch or dinner at school, and you’ll feel like you’re on a terrasse in Barcelona under the sun rather than under the neon lights of your cafeteria!     

1 cup uncooked quinoa

1 tbsp. Olive oil

1 clove garlic, minced

1 large red bell pepper, sliced

1 link of chorizo, cubed

2 cups baby spinach

1 tsp. dried oregano

1 tsp. dried basil

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package, let cool.

2. Heat olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and chorizo and sautée for about three to four minutes. Add garlic and keep cooking until the peppers are soft. Add spinach and cook until wilted.

3. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and basil.

4. Scoop quinoa into a portable container and lay the veggie and chorizo mixture on top. Store in the fridge until you’re ready to bring it to school. Warm in microwave for one to two minutes.

Italian arugula and pasta salad

Makes four to six servings

This recipe yields a lot of food. However, the salad can easily be kept if the fridge for a couple of days. Besides, it’s super useful to have some nutritious salad ready for you in the fridge so you can run out the door with it in the morning. Or you can share with your friends!  

1 package of short pasta (I used medium shells)

100g of thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into small squares

2 tbsp. chopped red onion

3-4 handfuls of arugula

1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved

12 small pitted green olives, sliced

2 tsp. dried oregano

1 tsp. dried basil

Drizzle of olive oil

Drizzle of balsamic vinegar

Salt and pepper to taste

1. Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Let cool.

2. Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar to taste and season with salt and pepper. Portion into portable containers and store in fridge.

Chickpea and artichoke dip with homemade pita chips

The healthy chip/dip combo will keep you full for your whole biology class, guaranteed! Plus, the recipe can be stored all week, so you can bring a little to school every day and always have a satisfying snack on hand.

For the dip:

1 can of chickpeas

6-7 artichoke hearts

2 tbsp. of olive oil

½ lemon, juiced

1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped

1 tsp. dried oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

For the pita chips:

6 whole-wheat pitas

3 tbsp. of olive oil

2 tsp. dried oregano

2 tsp. dried basil

Salt & pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F

2. Place all of the ingredients for the dip in a food processor. Blend on low for at least two minutes. The longer, the better! The result will be smoother and lighter.

3. Cut the pita bread into triangles.

4. Whisk the olive oil and dried herbs together in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.

5. Using a pastry brush, coat the pita triangles with the olive oil mixture on both sides.

6. Place in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Store the pita chips in an airtight container at room temperature.

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.