This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The Place des Arts area will once again morph into a lively fair with slides and a ferris wheel that no one is ever too old for. The 18th edition of Nuit Blanche is quickly approaching and will be a full nights’ worth of activities. With snow or rain, cold or warm weather, prepare yourselves for an unforgettable night. 

The Société de Transport de Montréal (STM) is collaborating with Montréal en Lumière and will offer metro services the entire night of March 4, 2017. If you don’t own an OPUS card, you can purchase a “soirée illimitée” pass for only $5, which allows you to move freely around the city for the entire night. Four free shuttle buses in the downtown area, Plateau-Mont-Royal, Mile End and Old Montreal, will also be available every 10-15 minutes from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Montréal en Lumière, which started in the year 2000, has become one of the most popular winter festivals in the world according to their website. Nuit Blanche, which is an event part of Montréal en Lumière (which roughly translates into Sleepless Night,) incorporates stage art, gastronomy, and free family oriented outdoor activities that last the entire night. Montréal en Lumière has recorded 1,300,000 visits each year. 

Nuit Blanche was a project that was launched in hopes to liven the city during our often brutal winters. The year 2014 marked the first time the event surpassed one million visitors. In 2015 the zip line was introduced to the event, letting people fly over the hoard of event-goers. This year will also be the first addition of Illuminart, which will allow the public to interact with the lightened artwork. 

There are activities for every taste. From music and parties to sports and rides, everyone will have a blast. With food and drink tastings of every kind, hot cocoa (with baileys, maybe?), and snacks from many kiosks that are both delicious and affordable, the event is a must. The festival is strongly rooted in art and presents different media such as theatre, circus arts and dance. 

The festivities do not end there. Activities are spread out across the cities in various boroughs to maximize the experience. The metro system is open all night to accommodate the people during the event, so please leave your cars at home. You will soon realize that Montreal on Nuit Blanche is more hectic than any other day in the city, meaning there is little space to park. 

Since Nuit Blanche falls in the middle of winter and we know our unpredictable weather, make sure to suit up. You’ll warm up in the pack, especially with a cup of hot chocolate in hand.  

Visit http://www.montrealenlumiere.com for more information on the event, such as maps for the activities and shuttle buses, as well as show times.

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.