Meet the Her Campus Concordia Team – Sarah Kossits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Name: Sarah Kimberly Kossits

Major: Journalism

Why did you choose Concordia? Partially because it’s the school my sister went to but mainly because it’s the only English school nearby that has a journalism program.

What is your favourite part of Concordia? I get to meet a wide variety of people from different places across the world.

Campus involvement? None at the moment

Role at Her Campus: Senior editor 

Why did you choose to join Her Campus? To help a friend kickstart it while building a portfolio for myself at the same time!

Hometown: Montreal, QC

Favourite place on/near campus to hang out? CJ building. Communication and Journalism students are blessed to have what is probably the quietest, most calm building in the entire University. Also, it connects to the busy SP for Tim Hortons by tunnel, so we don’t have to deal with the crowds or the cold.

Describe yourself in three words: Crazy hockey enthusiast

What is something about you that most people don’t know? Journalism wasn’t my first choice. I kind of applied for it under pressure three days before the application deadline, thinking I could maybe make a sports career with it someday. My first choice was in marine biology to become a shark biologist, but there were no programs nearby and I couldn’t afford to go to school by an ocean.

If you won 1 million dollars, what would you buy first? Probably a new mattress for my bed. Mine’s not very comfortable. 

What is your favourite place you have traveled to? Tie between Aruba and Chicago. They’re too different to compare.

Where is somewhere you want to travel to? I’ve wanted to go to Pompeii since I was super young, and I’m now the only person in my family who hasn’t been.

What are you reading right now? Mrs. Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

What is one mistake you’ve made in college/university and what did you learn from it? In my first semester, I procrastinated so much that it was literally impossible for me to catch up. I spent the whole semester playing catchup in a panic and luckily I was able to hold on. It taught me to get a better grip on my procrastination (basically, instead of doing everything the day of, I aim for the day before.)

Where do you see yourself in five years? I don’t even know what I’m doing in 20 minutes.

What is one quote you’ve always held onto? “You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” –Wayne Gretzky

What if your favourite food? My moms spaghetti. Only hers. No one can ever make it as good as her.

What is your favourite animal? Sharks.

What is your favourite movie? Forrest Gump. Apollo 13. Castaway. Anything with Tom Hanks. I am convinced he has never made a bad movie.

What is a fun fact about you? I don’t have Netflix.

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.