Five Recipes to Get You Excited About Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The heat has finally abated, and while some of you might be sad that summer is over, I live for fall. I love the scarves, boots, jackets, candles, leaves, tea, and most of all, the fall baking. Fall conjures up ideas of hearty soups, crumbles, cider, and tea lattes for me. I’ve decided to share some of my favorite fall recipes with you guys to help stave off the end of summer blues.

1. Pumpkin Scones

Any fall list without the word pumpkin in it is sorely lacking. White girl notions aside, I love pumpkin, but not because of Starbucks. Pumpkins are a symbol for fall, whether they’re used to decorate front porches or to decorate a Thanksgiving table. But, they are perhaps most appreciated in hungry bellies. I have made this scone recipe by Call Me Pmc, at least twice a month every fall for the last three years. They are a great brunch staple! Recipe can be found here

2. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Sticking with the orange fall palette is my favourite soup, butternut squash. I made this soup two weeks ago, with a few adjustments, and it came out like velvet. Honestly, a hand-held immersion blender is my best friend when fall rolls around. The most difficult part of this recipe is cleaving the squash in two, but if you stick it in the oven at 200°C for about ten minutes, it should soften up and be ready to cut. Recipe is located here

3. Apple Cider

I first made slow cooker apple cider last Thanksgiving after bringing home a ton of apples from Verger Labonté. If you find yourself with a ton of apples this year, then cut some up with oranges, add some cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, and toss it all into a slow cooker and watch the magic happen. Nothing is better than coming home after a long, chilly day full of still air-conditioned classrooms than curling up with a cup of cider and a nice book. The recipe I use is here

4. Brown Sugar Cookies

Now these aren’t a strictly fall baking item, but they’re so good I would be remiss not to mention them. Brown sugar cookies are my go-to when I’m not sure what I want to bake. This is the cookie that can turn the most dessert adverse person into someone who eats four cookies in five minutes. Trust me, I’ve seen it happen. The recipe I use comes from America’s Test Kitchen, but as their site is only available through registration, I’ll put up a similar recipe here

5. Apple Crisp

I know, two apple recipes, how scandalous. If you’ve ever made a successful apple crisp, you know why this makes my list. Even now, imagining the mix of apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon baking makes my mouth water. This is a staple for any fall kitchen, and best of all, it can be paired with vanilla ice cream, or eaten for breakfast because it’s technically not that bad for you. You know what they say about an apple a day keeping the doctor away? They never said it had to be raw and only 100 calories. This is an awesome and easy recipe to use

Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.