books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Finding Your Academic Success Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

The digital age has brought with it many changes, including changing the way that university students take their classes and control their education.

More students today are opting to enroll in online “e-classes” instead of the traditional course set for the same time, same day every week with an instructor in a classroom. 

E-classes seem to be preferred by students because they allow for students to teach themselves the course material on their own time, and at their own pace. They offer flexibility that a Tuesday 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. course doesn’t.

Unfortunately, the same flexibility that students love about studying online is the flexibility that eventually ends up being their kryptonite and hinders their success. However, with the right habits, e-classes can be a positive experience for some students.

1. Acknowledge that you’re enrolled in an online class

It may seem obvious, but being enrolled in an online class requires that you have access to a computer on a regular basis. Also, that computer needs to have the programs required for the course installed on it. If nothing else, the computer will need Flash to run the instructor’s videos. Students who are unwilling to install programs or who do not own a computer should avoid online classes.

E-classes do not require students to show up for a class at the same time every week. When a student physically attends a class, regardless of how much of the material they’re absorbing, they are made aware of assignments and due dates and it can be much easier to stay on top of everything.

If a student doesn’t log on to their online class regularly, they’ll fall behind. Just because a student doesn’t log on, doesn’t mean the class doesn’t move on. Believe me. It does.

2. Read the syllabus

E-classes don’t have professors constantly drilling due dates into students’ brains. A student can get away with ignoring the schedule on the syllabus in a normal class, but not online.

At the start of a semester, students enrolled in e-classes should read the syllabus and immediately take note of all the due dates and assignments for the semester. Making a game-plan and being aware of the workload can also be a motivator to log on.

Just like a regular class, Students who ignore the syllabus and never read it will have a very hard time keeping on top of assignments.

3. Plan study times

Just like with a real class, students should set time aside to work on their e-class. A day off during the week shouldn’t be thought of as a day off— it should be thought of as a school day for an online course. Just because there isn’t a set time for the course doesn’t mean there is never a time for the course, it just means you choose when that time is.

Having a consistent study space can also be helpful to e-class students. The space would symbolize a classroom, and students can associate the study area with their course. 

At the very least, students should set aside an hour three days per week to log on and read any new announcements from the professor.

Online courses can be both a blessing and a curse depending on how seriously a student takes the class. They require a little more effort than the standard in-person experience— without the extra effort, there is a little chance of success. 

Even though the class is virtual and any assignments will be submitted virtually, that doesn’t mean the professor is virtual. They are real people who can help their students figure out the best ways to be successful at their class. 

The professor’s video may end, but the learning doesn’t have to. If students have questions about the course material, they should contact the professor just like they would in any other class.

Sarah Kossits

Concordia CA

Sarah is a 21-year-old journalism student in Montreal looking to break down some barriers and make a name for herself in the sports journalism world! She loves all things hockey, horses, and spends her free time reading as many books as she possibly can.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.