nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Cure for Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

Most, if not all people, suffer from procrastination every day. You are not struggling alone. If you’ve ever thought “why do I do this to myself?” at two in the morning the night before an assignment is due, know that you aren’t the only one. Luckily, procrastination is a bad habit that can be fixed like any other bad habit. Sure, it takes some time, but here are some steps that can help fellow procrastinators.

1. Make a List

One of the reasons I procrastinate, other than being compulsively lazy, is because I’m overwhelmed. Looking at the looming deadlines, all I can think is “I can’t do this.” Listing your tasks, preferably early on in the semester, will help you visualize the work. Having a list of tasks helps you decide what’s more pressing and when to start an assignment. Also, manually checking them off makes you feel more productive! You can see your progress and you’ll feel less overwhelmed.

2. Find Your Spot

By now, you know what does and doesn’t work for you. Where are you more efficient? Are quiet libraries your thing, or do you prefer bustling coffee shops? Or do you prefer staying in the comfort of your home? Wherever it is, you should be there studying.

3. Kill Bad Habits

One of the main problems with procrastinators is that they are easily distracted. Whether it’s Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr or Snapchat, social media kills any motivation we might have had. Something cool to try out would be the app Forest: Stay Focused. You plant a tree and set a timer to study. Its minimum 10 minutes, maximum 120 minutes. During this time the tree or plant grows, but if you click away from the app to check your texts, phone calls, or anything else, the plant dies. If you keep up the good work, you’ll find yourself with a forest someday.

4. Pace Yourself

Now that you have a list, made in advance, you won’t be cramming the night before. You’ve settled in to study and you can do so at your own pace. Long periods of work are tiring and lead to binging (whether it’s Facebook or Netflix) on your well-deserved break. If you shorten the span of time you study to, let’s say, 25 minutes, and take five minutes between sessions, you will be less likely to binge on your break.

Now that you’ve made your list, found your place, turned off the phone and planned out your studying, you can finally de-stress. Stress during finals, or in general, is the last thing you want. Planning ahead of time allows you to have enough time for your work, and possibly give you some free time too.

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.