This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

It’s no secret that Valentine’s Day is a celebration of love that many people hate. This doesn’t come as a surprise, especially due to the way Valentine’s Day is celebrated here in North America. For the majority of us college students, it’s safe to assume that spending large amounts of money is not ideal- especially if the gifts we are buying are played out.

In order to protect your bank account as well as revive the true meaning of Valentine’s Day (which is to show your loved ones that you cherish and love them,) try going the more sentimental route this year. If you’re having a hard time finding gifts or making plans, try some of the following ideas. Some of them may seem generic at first, but if you modify them and add your own personal touch, you could end up getting the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for your partner.

1. Chronological Photo Frame

This may seem boring but each couple will undoubtedly have their own way to spin it.  If you have been dating a long time, try getting a frame with multiple photo slots. In each slot, add a picture from a certain time period of your relationship. For example, if you have been dating for three years, try and pick a photo from each year. Line them up chronologically and frame it. This way you take a common, inexpensive item and transform it to a representation of the time you two spent together.

2. Customized Coupon book

This gift is a great idea for couples, especially ones who live or spend a lot of time together. Write out several “coupons” (that are really just deeds or activities) that your partner can redeem at a later date. There is a lot of room here for creativity, depending on the type of coupons your significant other would want. They can be funny (like a coupon to watch their favourite movie with them even though you hate it), it can be connected to a constant argument (coupon to do the dishes for a week), or it can be romantic (use your imagination for this one).  Just make sure to add an expiration date – you don’t want to have to be doing all of these well into July.

3. Something they have wanted but haven’t bought themselves yet

This may be going back to the material side of things but instead of focusing on what is usually considered “romantic”, try going the practical route. This gift requires listening to your partner a few weeks or months in advance in order to know what they actually want. For example, if they have been talking about a specific book for a long time and haven’t been able to get it yet, buy it and surprise them. In this case, the actual object doesn’t matter as it is more a representation that you listen and acknowledge your partner’s wants and needs. Even if the gift doesn’t fall under the “traditionally romantic” category, being an attentive and caring partner is the most romantic thing you could do.

4. Customized Top Ten List

This idea can be adapted in a variety of ways. Essentially, make a list of some sort for your partner that they would appreciate. You can make a list of the top ten songs that remind you of them, top ten memories you’ve ever shared, top ten things you love most about them, etc. For an extra touch, you can write out the list in a fancy font, add some decorations to the page, and frame it. No matter what you put on the list, it will be specific to the bond you and your partner share, which is exactly what you are trying to convey on a day that is meant to celebrate love.

5. Recreating Your First Date

In light of this, opt out of buying something and try instead to do something. You could try to recreate your first date or your favourite/most special date, whichever means the most to the relationship. Don’t only go to the same restaurant or movie- dress up in similar, if not the exact same clothes you wore the first time. The whole date will be a blast from the past, connecting you both back to the excitement and emotion you felt on that special day.

The main thing that we should be promoting with every Valentine’s gift, plan or activity is love and cherishment. One thing is for sure, you do not need to break the bank or fall into commercialized methods to have a great Valentine’s Day with your partner. 

Jenny Mourad

Concordia CA

Jenny is a Communication and Cultural Studies student with a minor in Psychology. She is your average multicultural, book reading, Netflix watching, wine loving girl. She is passionate about all sorts of topics but has a special place in her heart for representation in the media. She doesn't know what the future holds for her but she is excited to find out.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.