24 Interesting questions you never thought of asking your friends 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

When hanging out with your friends, conversations often stay light and revolve around school, career goals and love life. Although you may think you know everything about your closest friends, there are some questions that are much more interesting than the typical “How many people have you had sex with?” and “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” types. The following list of questions allows for a deeper understanding of your friends and a thought-provoking kind of night!

1. How important is the presence of social media in your life? Do you think you would still have the same friends and keep up with more distant ones without it?

2. If you had to choose success in one part of your life, and one part only, would it be family or career?

3. Are you satisfied with the number of sexual partners you’ve had? If not, do you wish you had had fewer or more? 

This question is a great twist on the usual sex-conversations, as it allows people to reflect on if they’re actually satisfied with their sex-life so far, and what more they would want. It’s also great to get input from friends who have had the opposite amount of partners, so they can offer a different perspective. 

4. If you had to choose between leaving your country and never being allowed back in or not being allowed to ever leave your country, which would you choose? Why?

5. What is a song/artist which helped you get through a tough period? 

Sometimes music is not given the credit it deserves. This question allows you to learn more about your friends’ musical tastes (which probably differ when they’re alone from when they’re with you), all while learning about a tough time they’ve been though.

6. Recall your first sexual experience. Is there anything you wish had happened differently? Anything you wish you had known beforehand? 

7. How do you feel about the way you were raised? Would you raise your children the same way? If not, what would you change?

This is a really interesting conversation starter where you get to learn about everyone’s family life behind close doors. Often this allows you to better understand why they behave certain ways or why they value certain things.

8. Where is the wildest place you have ever had sex?

9. Have you ever had a crush on a friend’s sibling?

This is a lighter question that often people don’t think of asking, but you would be surprised about the answers! This often results in a lot of laughing and teasing of course, but it’s worth it if you’re comfortable with your friends.

10. Would you ever consider being a foster home in the future?

You hear a lot of talk about if someone would ever adopt, or get an exchange student, but not much attention is given to the large number of foster kids in the system. This is a thought-provoking question that could potentially make people more aware about the foster care system and it’s interesting to know how people feel about taking in kids that need a home!

11. When you hear the word “regret” what is the first thing that comes to your mind?

12. If you could change one thing about your education system, what would it be?

13. Do you believe trades should be considered as highly as a university education? 

Trades are intensive programs based on hands-on work that prepares you for a specific type of job. However, they are often categorized as easy short-cuts to a career and are looked down upon. This question allows for reflection on why society does this and how much we are influenced by the need for a title or diploma.

14. If you could be close friends with one celebrity, who would it be? Why?

15. Would you ever consider spending a day/night completely naked with your closest friends?

Depending on everyone’s answers, this could clearly lead to a change in wardrobe…

16. What is your definition of sex? If it is different from that of those with different sexual orientations, why is that? Do you believe sex should be defined the same for everyone or personal to each couple?

17. How critical of yourself do you think you are? Is this a good level or should you try to be more or less critical?

18. Tell us about one of your sexual fantasies. 

19. Do you believe in marriage? If so, is it for religious reasons?

20. What would you do if your future partner refuses to have the pet you have been dreaming of your whole life?

21. Are you satisfied with your current financial situation? If not how could you improve it? 

It’s easy to say we want more money, but when put in a position like this where you need to reflect on your financial situation in consideration of your age and occupation, you could end up having a very big revelation. This allows for everyone to think critically about their spending, and if friends know that you want to spend less, they can help you!

22. Do you have any amazing sex positions or toys to recommend?

23. What is your favorite poem or quote? Why?

24. What is your dream trip? When do you plan on going and who do you hope to go with?

Alex is a student at John Molson School of Business, currently undertaking a major in marketing as part of the co-operative program, with the goal of pursuing a career in the advertising industry. Travelling, fashion, videography and photography, as well as good food and good wine are some of her favourite things.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.