10 Feel-Good Movies You Probably Forgot About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

I often find myself wanting to watch a movie, but not knowing what I want to watch. I’m sure I’m not the only one with this dilemma, so I compiled a list of great movies for a girls’ night in. Here are some feel-good movies you most likely forgot about that will have all the “feels.”

1. Penelope

This cute tale follows 25-year-old Penelope (Christina Ricci) who is cursed with a pig’s nose. The only way to break the spell is if she marries a blue blood, so her mother has been trying to set her up since she turned 18. During a meet-and-greet session with eligible bachelors, Penelope meets Max (James McAvoy) who urges her to live her life instead of being caged up.

Watching Penelope, I can’t help but swoon a little. For something light and cute, it’s the perfect movie!

1. Only You

Not many may know this 1994 gem. Before my aunt suggested it to me a while ago, I had never heard of it. The story follows helpless romantic Faith (Marisa Tomei) who was told by a fortune when she was a preteen that she’s meant to be with someone named Damon Bradley. Now, she’s about to get married to a podiatrist when she gets a phone call from one of his friends who happens to be named, you guessed it, Damon Bradley. She drops everything when he tells her he’s heading to Venice. She travels around Italy desperately seeking the love of her life.

Like any hopeless romantic character, Faith is a little over the top. You get to fall for the beautiful Italian scenery as Faith frantically searches for a man she’s never met.

1. Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights

The 2004 sequel to the famed Dirty Dancing doesn’t let you down. Havana Nights tweaks the original premise of the rich girl falling for the poor dancer. Katey (Romola Garai) moves to Cuba with her family before Fidel Castro’s rise to power. There she meets Javier (Diego Luna) who teaches her to dance as they quickly fall in love.

If you loved the original movie, or just love movies that involve dancing, Havana Nights is a treat.

1. Letters to Juliet

This 2010 romantic movie isn’t that old compared to the others on the list. Whether it’s forgotten, or just underrated, Letters to Juliet is a must for a girls’ night. Aspiring journalist Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is visiting Tuscany with her slightly narcissistic fiancé Victor (Gael Garcia Bernal).Upon arriving in one of the most romantic countries, the couple spent their time seperately. While Victor focuses on finding vendors for his new restaurant, Sophie finds her way to a touristic sight that is supposedly Shakespeare’s fictional character Juliet Capulet’s garden. There she finds a love letter in the wall dated from the 50s, and contacts the woman who wrote it, Claire (Vanessa Redgrave). They seek out Claire’s long-lost love around Tuscany, along with Claire’s uptight grandson.

I have a thing for stories with an Italian backdrop, but who doesn’t? This romantic story is hard to dislike with its theme of hope and undying love.

1. Midnight in Paris

It took me a while before giving this movie a chance, the main reason is the protagonist is played by Owen Wilson and, well, as a romantic lead, I didn’t find that plausible. His voice doesn’t scream romance.

Midnight in Paris is about an aspiring author, Gil (Owen Wilson), who vacations to Paris with his fiancé Inez (Rachel McAdams). The couple don’t share much in common; Gil is a romantic who wants to leave his easy life in California to be a struggling author in Paris. Inez on the other hand is far from a romantic, and prefers a practical life. While Gil wanders the streets of Paris alone one night, a 1920s style car stops by to pick him up. He’s propelled into the 1920s—his “golden era”—where he meets people like Ernest Hemingway and Scott Fitzgerald.

1. Amélie

The 2001 movie, Amélie, is about a young woman who finds a small box behind a tile in her wall. Inside she finds memorabilia that belonged to the boy who lived her apartment years ago. She decides to seek him out, and secretly give it back. If it makes him happy, she vows to continue to bring joy to others. Amélie focuses so much on other’s happiness that she somehow forgets to make herself happy.

If you love artsy, cute movies, this is a good one. From the lovely music, to the beautiful cinematography, Amélie is a good pick.

1. Before Sunrise

On his way to Vienna, American traveler Jesse (Ethan Hawke) meets Celine (Julie Delpy), a Parisian student returning home. The two hit it off right away, falling into easy conversation from the beginning. When the train stops in Austria, Jesse proposes that Celine follows him. Before Sunrise is the first movie of a trilogy that started in 1995; it follows two young adults who explore Vienna one night.

This one is for the inner philosopher in you. The plot is pushed completely by character. The duo talk about everything and anything on their night out. The main question is whether one can truly fall in love with a stranger.

1. Uptown Girls

This cute 2003 movie is about the daughter of a late rock star, Molly Gunn (Brittany Murphy). Molly lived her life in oblivious content with no care in the world until all her money is gone and she has to work for the first time in her life. She’s hired as a nanny for an uptight young girl, Ray (Dakota Fanning). The pair learn to help each other out. For one to finally grow up, and the other to be act like a kid.

It’s a light, funny movie that has a cute Aussie singer and, best of all, an even cuter piglet.

1. Ella Enchanted

You probably watched this 2004 Anne Hathaway movie growing up. The fairy tale is geared more for younger audiences, following a similar plot as Cinderella, but who doesn’t like a cute fairy tale throwback? The story follows Ella (Anne Hathaway) who is cursed with obedience. No matter what, she has to do what anyone tells her to do. Ella’s stepmother has invaded her life along with two evil stepsisters. After discovering Ella’s curse, the women use it against her, making her their slave. Ella embarks on a journey to find the fairy who put the spell on her, and have the chance to change her fate.

For a nostalgic, throwback night, Ella Enchanted is the movie to watch. A notable mention to the scene where she belts out “Somebody to Love,” if you don’t watch it for Ella, watch it for Queen!

1. Burlesque

Another 2010 movie that I think should be a notable mention. For you musical lovers out there, Burlesque is full of music and dance. Christina Aguilera’s performance as the lead role of Ali is amazing. Her soulful voice really brings an old-time feel to the movie. After coming across a Burlesque Lounge, Ali begs manager Tess (Cher) to hire her. Burlesque follows Ali’s journey from small town girl to big city burlesque star.

The music and dances are great, might even make you want to join a burlesque class!

These are a few forgotten or underrated movies that you might have heard of, but never gave a chance. They’re perfect for sleepovers, or just a night alone. If you love cute, romantic, and at times silly movies, these are your go-tos!

Amanda is a Journalism and Creative Writing major at Concordia University in Montreal. Writing has been her passion for as long as she can remember, and is the reason why she's been pursuing it throughout her University career. She has been working on a novel-length story since high school that she hopes to one day publish. Journalism pricked her interest in her last year of high school when she took an optional class. Amanda joined a group in class, and they had to make a plan for a contest on how they would document the humanitarian work in Peru. They won first place, and had the chance of traveling to a small community in Peru where they had the chance to interview and meet volunteers and citizens. It was at that moment that Amanda knew what she wanted to do in life. 
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.