A Sophomore’s Guide to MoHi’s Hottest Clubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Vivi Hyacinthe CC’17

^not that type of club, because let’s face it–your Delaware-issued fake ID from a friend of a friend at NYU isn’t going to get you into that joint downtown where Ariana Grande was spotted last week. Don’t fret about your lost cash, though. At least you have a cute and trendy coaster!

Now that I’ve successfully dashed through your optimism, it’s time for business. If you’re anything like me, your plan of attack during the activities’ fair for the past two years involved chasing your greatest passions: napping and Netflix. From the comfort of your dorm room, you could meet tons of entertaining people and embark on memorable, 47-minute long adventures with the click of a button. So why go through the trouble of putting on pants and sweating on Low Steps? After four diligent years of high school extracurricular hoarding, you reached the destination: an impressive school! There’s no point in putting in extra effort anymore, amirite?

NO.

You’ve heard it countless times before: college is the best time of your life. The next four years hold a plethora of new opportunities and experiences waiting for you to enjoy. So don’t waste it! College is essentially the real-world equivalent of a 30-day free trial (by which I obviously mean free of commitment, not free of charge. LOL). To be blessed with one-hundred and ninety-two weeks of time to flit around from one activity to another without a tether is not something all people can boast. However, if you’ve already squandered a year hiding behind your Twitter handle, there’s no need to panic because I’ve cracked the code and I’m here to bless all you late-bloomers.

The secret to mastering the campus club madness, after your NSOP week has passed, is simple: annoy the HELL out of your friends.

In every movie made about the typical college experience, the hero gallops onto campus and into the student center with a clear chronological mission: 1) join clubs. 2) make friends. 3) run the world. However, most REAL people like me are horrified at the thought of voluntarily sitting in a room full of strangers for forty-five minutes. And actually engaging in conversation?!  Unheard of. By some stroke of random luck, I found an unbelievable group of friends last year (despite the fact that not a single word left my lips until AT LEAST Labor Day). I’m truly grateful and I love them dearly. So what better way to commemorate one year of mutual platonic existence than following them around after classes? After all, imitation is the highest form of flattery.With my social skills, the only adhesive that aids in preserving my friendships is common interest. It would seem that joining clubs would be an optimal social situation for me, but awkwardness is not a science. Fortunately, the people with whom I surround myself have already tested the waters and weeded out the organizations I wouldn’t want to go near. What’s left is mine for the picking. If the mystery known as freshman year has already passed you by, it’s not too late to make your mark on this campus. Don’t get caught slaving away in Butler rather than weaving memories to be fond of after commencement comes your way. Tag along to anything that catches your eye–bonus points if there’s food involved. Your friends will appreciate the support and you’re treating yourself to an abridged catalog of ways to get involved on campus. Consider it an advertisement-free version of like, I don’t know, Hulu? Do people still use that? More importantly, why are you still reading this? It’s time to make moves. 

Vivi is a devout follower of Yeezus Christ and a mac-and-cheese connoisseur. An Economics major at Columbia College, she is excited to become of voice of the campus community by writing for Her Campus and tweeting frequently.
Sophomore Film Studies and Business Management Columbia College Hometown: Washington D.C.