Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Columbia Features

Ever thought about law school? Attend the Law School Forum in NYC on October 17 & 18!

By Columbia Contributor
October 6, 2014 - 10:32am

Figuring out what you want to do after college can be stressful, especially when you might want to do so many things! Since you’re all ambitious, proactive collegiettes, we know that you’ve already joined the clubs, landed the internships, and done the research to try and narrow down the opportunities. If you’ve ever even toyed with the idea of law school, we have another opportunity for you to help expand your horizons.Every year the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) hosts Law School Forums across the country, and one will be in NYC this month! Love social media? Sports addict? There are unique, surprising legal jobs available in these industries and countless others!...

Friendzoned

By Devon Towell
May 7, 2014 - 1:02pm

We hope you enjoy this op-ed from a HC Columbia guest writer. Months of mixed signals and somehow they all point in the same direction: the friend zone.  A hell-like purgatory full of reading into texts and body language, frustration, and comparing yourself to Duckie in Pretty in Pink.  To expose your feelings would “ruin everything”, and to keep them in is torture.  And since this is Columbia, there is no prom or ball where it all comes out.  READ MORE

How to Have a Fabulous Week

By Elena Nicolaou
April 28, 2014 - 11:24am

Lately, everything seems to be downright crazy. Finals are looming over our heads, but before we can think about finals, we have to concentrate on the millions of papers and other assignments that are due first. I don't know about you, but I don't even have time to think some days! Still, it's more important now than ever to keep your head up and try to have a helluva time. Don't forget that college is short, and before we know it, we'll be in the *gasp* real world. Let's enjoy what we have while we have it! 1) Take a lesson from Beyonce READ MORE

Bacchanal Essentials

By Lana Wang
April 6, 2014 - 6:00pm

Oh Bacchanal. The one glimmering day of happiness before Columbia grinds us down again. Last year was my first year atBacchanal and based on my experiences I hope to provide some advice so everyone has a jolly good time. While the day is focused on having fun, things can get pretty crazy. I didn't understand how cray cray Columbia kids could get until I was in the middle of the crowd getting trampled into the ground and watching the opening of sky close in as the crowd swallowed me… Thankfully I got out alive with only some scraped knees but I was definitely not prepared for that level of insanity. So here is my checklist of Bacchanal essentials to ensure that everyone has the best time possible. READ MORE...

Creative Ways to Be Healthy in JJ's Place

By Kenya Watson
March 31, 2014 - 6:40pm

It’s late, you’ve had a long day of classes, and the only dining hall open is JJ’s Place. While JJ’s is notorious for its selection of comfort foods, like burgers, fries, and wings, there are still plenty of great options that are filling and healthy. Next time you find yourself going down those stairs to our late night dining hall, use these tips to help you make your meal choices. READ MORE

Tips for Eating Healthy in John Jay

By Kenya Watson
March 24, 2014 - 8:50pm

Who said the dining hall had to be repetitive? The dining hall staff works extremely hard to give us as many options as possible, and there are always plenty of ways to get creative. Next time you are in John Jay and can’t figure out what to eat, try one of these unique combinations: 1. You can always ask for plain brown rice at the Action Station (except on the days when they serve the Chinese noodle bowl). Use it as a healthy side to the entrée in the main line, or you can add veggies and soy sauce from the salad bar for a brown rice salad. READ MORE

Beauty Treatment Study Break

By Maria D'Iorio
March 10, 2014 - 7:44pm

I am sooooo done with studying for these seemingly never-ending midterms. Spring break can not come fast enough. So, instead of waiting for vacation to finally arrive, I’m starting the relaxation a little early with some of these de-stressing and fun at home beauty treatments. Taking some time for myself in the midst of this stressful period always helps me to calm down and re-focus. So here are a few of my favorite ways to unwind. 1) Manicure/pedicure READ MORE

Five Books to Read Over Spring Break

By Elena Nicolaou
March 7, 2014 - 1:21am

For all my bookworms out there--the time has come to rejoice! Nine days in which we can READ FOR FUN! I know, I know. We'll still have work. That's the great irony of Spring "Break"--it's not really a break at all! Still, I think that this vacation provides the perfect opportunity to fit in one or two great reads that will hopefully make up for all the not-so-fun books we have to read over the school year. So, put aside your Lit Hum and CC for some of my favorite books that I think you'll love to read over break, whether you're on a beach or at home or on campus. These books are thought-provoking and life-changing in the most enjoyable ways possible. 1) Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter READ MORE...

Seven Fashion Bloggers to Follow on Insta

By Jackie Hall
February 27, 2014 - 12:00pm

If you’re anything like me, you are constantly checking your Instagram, clicking refresh over and over while you procrastinate from writing that final essay. The thing is, I can’t just rely on my friend’s posts for my constant entertainment. For this reason, I follow style bloggers. They’re young and stylish and can make any girl envious of their fabulous wardrobes. No matter what your style is, you’ll find outfit inspiration and a few drool worthy accessories.  As Coco Chanel once said, “The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive.” Helena Glazer READ MORE

Dig Inn Seasonal Market: The New Kid In Town

By Ali Schulz
February 26, 2014 - 8:41am

Rumor has it there’s a new kid in town, and her name is Dig Inn. The “seasonal market” chain just opened a new location in Mo’ Heights and is making a killing! Dig Inn offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, “plates,” shakes, snacks, and drinks. The market is committed to providing organic and healthy meals, and tries to use as much locally grown produce as possible. The meals are affordable and nutritious, with “no empty calories” as the restaurant explains it.  As a generous gesture (and promotional campaign), Dig Inn offered FREE  READ MORE