Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Columbia News

Bacchanal Essentials

By Lana Wang
April 6, 2014 - 6:00pm

Oh Bacchanal. The one glimmering day of happiness before Columbia grinds us down again. Last year was my first year atBacchanal and based on my experiences I hope to provide some advice so everyone has a jolly good time. While the day is focused on having fun, things can get pretty crazy. I didn't understand how cray cray Columbia kids could get until I was in the middle of the crowd getting trampled into the ground and watching the opening of sky close in as the crowd swallowed me… Thankfully I got out alive with only some scraped knees but I was definitely not prepared for that level of insanity. So here is my checklist of Bacchanal essentials to ensure that everyone has the best time possible. READ MORE...

Creative Ways to Be Healthy in JJ's Place

By Kenya Watson
March 31, 2014 - 6:40pm

It’s late, you’ve had a long day of classes, and the only dining hall open is JJ’s Place. While JJ’s is notorious for its selection of comfort foods, like burgers, fries, and wings, there are still plenty of great options that are filling and healthy. Next time you find yourself going down those stairs to our late night dining hall, use these tips to help you make your meal choices. READ MORE

Tips for Eating Healthy in John Jay

By Kenya Watson
March 24, 2014 - 8:50pm

Who said the dining hall had to be repetitive? The dining hall staff works extremely hard to give us as many options as possible, and there are always plenty of ways to get creative. Next time you are in John Jay and can’t figure out what to eat, try one of these unique combinations: 1. You can always ask for plain brown rice at the Action Station (except on the days when they serve the Chinese noodle bowl). Use it as a healthy side to the entrée in the main line, or you can add veggies and soy sauce from the salad bar for a brown rice salad. READ MORE

Beauty Treatment Study Break

By Maria D'Iorio
March 10, 2014 - 7:44pm

I am sooooo done with studying for these seemingly never-ending midterms. Spring break can not come fast enough. So, instead of waiting for vacation to finally arrive, I’m starting the relaxation a little early with some of these de-stressing and fun at home beauty treatments. Taking some time for myself in the midst of this stressful period always helps me to calm down and re-focus. So here are a few of my favorite ways to unwind. 1) Manicure/pedicure READ MORE

Five Books to Read Over Spring Break

By Elena Nicolaou
March 7, 2014 - 1:21am

For all my bookworms out there--the time has come to rejoice! Nine days in which we can READ FOR FUN! I know, I know. We'll still have work. That's the great irony of Spring "Break"--it's not really a break at all! Still, I think that this vacation provides the perfect opportunity to fit in one or two great reads that will hopefully make up for all the not-so-fun books we have to read over the school year. So, put aside your Lit Hum and CC for some of my favorite books that I think you'll love to read over break, whether you're on a beach or at home or on campus. These books are thought-provoking and life-changing in the most enjoyable ways possible. 1) Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter READ MORE...

Seven Fashion Bloggers to Follow on Insta

By Jackie Hall
February 27, 2014 - 12:00pm

If you’re anything like me, you are constantly checking your Instagram, clicking refresh over and over while you procrastinate from writing that final essay. The thing is, I can’t just rely on my friend’s posts for my constant entertainment. For this reason, I follow style bloggers. They’re young and stylish and can make any girl envious of their fabulous wardrobes. No matter what your style is, you’ll find outfit inspiration and a few drool worthy accessories.  As Coco Chanel once said, “The best things in life are free. The second best are very expensive.” Helena Glazer READ MORE

Dig Inn Seasonal Market: The New Kid In Town

By Ali Schulz
February 26, 2014 - 8:41am

Rumor has it there’s a new kid in town, and her name is Dig Inn. The “seasonal market” chain just opened a new location in Mo’ Heights and is making a killing! Dig Inn offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, “plates,” shakes, snacks, and drinks. The market is committed to providing organic and healthy meals, and tries to use as much locally grown produce as possible. The meals are affordable and nutritious, with “no empty calories” as the restaurant explains it.  As a generous gesture (and promotional campaign), Dig Inn offered FREE  READ MORE

Figuring it All Out: Movies to Help You Remember That You’re Awesome

By Maria D'Iorio
February 24, 2014 - 2:00am

So you’ve been studying for the past six hours straight. You walk out of Butler and squint into the sun, morosely shaking your head. You promised yourself that you would NEVER leave all of your work to one day again. Ever. But you also promised yourself that you were going to wake up for that 8:30AM lecture every Monday and that you were finally going to sign up for that cardio class. But…things haven’t gone exactly to plan. Instead of beating yourself up, realize that you’re not the only one. When you get back to your dorm, recoup from that awful day of studying with one of these films, all starring leading ladies who have it less than figured out but manage to be completely awesome regardless. 1.     Amelie (2001)...

Putting the Sisterhood in Sorority: Thoughts from Two Columbia Sorority Sisters

By anonymous
February 18, 2014 - 9:56pm

In response to a recent op-ed published about a HC Columbia writer's candid experiences with sorority rushing, two current sisters in a Columbia sorority give Her Campus their thoughts on what it means to be in a sisterhood. We at Her Campus Columbia are happy to be able to host a dialogue on the subject of Greek life, one that largely goes neglected by those not in the Greek community. We hope that after reading these articles, you have a more well-rounded and honest perspective of Greek life and what it means to both try to be in and to be in a sorority at Columbia. READ MORE

SEAS Celebrates 150

By Lana Wang
February 17, 2014 - 11:17pm

The life of the engineer can be tough. Luckily the fine folks at ESC always hold Engineering Week in the Spring. The week will be filled with freebies, yummy food, networking opportunities, special talks and events hosted by the various engineering groups on campus. To find out more about the celebration, I asked Rushal Rege the VP of Student Life from the Engineering Student Council. What is the "Launch Week Light Display" and what should students expect from the event? READ MORE