Midterms Stress-Busting, AKA FOOD!!!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Midterm Stress-Busting, AKA FOOD!!!

Midterms. UGH.  The word itself practically makes my insides turn with anxiety and dread.  I’m sure most college girls can relate.  While midterms, in theory, should already be over, it seems as if they never end- even AFTER midterm week.  If you are oh-so-lucky, some of your professors may decide to be super creative and give the midterm the following week “because you will already be so busy with other midterms; this will spread out the work and make your life easier”.  This reasoning becomes pretty redundant when 2-3 of your teachers decide to apply the same brilliant reasoning, thinking that they are being the “nice” professors.  Next thing you know, you are dedicating your entire weekend to studying for the three midterms you will have over the Monday and Tuesday following the technical “midterm week”, ironically, the exact stressful situation that your professors thought they were eliminating.  In conclusion: it’s not midterm week.  It’s midterm SEASON.  Rather than a quick slap, it’s a drawn-out and painful process.  

I don’t know about you, but when I’m stressed, I tend to eat.  And I don’t mean munch-on-a-granola-bar-eat, I mean polish-off-a-tub-of-Ben-&-Jerry’s-EAT.  Yet, as I’m sure many of you have heard, such sugary snacks can be rather counter-productive when stressful, leading to sugar-crashes and sluggish feelings.  Yet, eating the right foods actually can help bust stress, rather than promote it.  You heard me right, EATING IS GOOD.  

Here are some great foods to help you get through midterms and eliminate stress:

1. Avocados.  While some may simply thinking that avocados are just high in fat and calories, most tend to forget that they are in fact extremely high in potassium, as well.  In fact, ½ of an avocado generally has more potassium than the average banana.  That’s right, ladies: that guacamole at Chipotle isn’t just an extra $2.00 down the drain – it’s an INVESTMENT.  

1. Almonds.  This one may be rather obvious; protein = power.  But, almonds are also super high in vitamin B, which can help you be more resilient to stress.  Bonus: commonly found in Ferris, in addition to…

1. Steel-Cut-Oatmeal.  Yes, instant apple-cinnamon Quaker oatmeal is delicious.  But, high in refined sugars, your body digests and absorbs the sugar very quickly, thus leading to a quick crash.  Real steel-cut oatmeal is a much healthier option, AND is available in Ferris.  Almonds on top make it extra healthy and tasty.  

1. Black Tea.  Studies have shown that people who drink black tea regularly are not as subject to high stress as people who opt for other drinks, such as coffee and soda.  Black Tea also has been shown to reduce cortisol levels, the hormone responsible for anxiety that follows stressful situations.

1. Midnight Snack.  This one may be somewhat surprising, as many people are under the impression that eating past about 8 pm is “bad”.  However, a quick snack before bed can be rather beneficial, as carbs induce the release of serotonin, which in turn may lead to better sleep.  Stick to something light and not overly sugary, like a piece of whole-grain toast, so as to avoid a sugar-buzz.  

In conclusion: save the midnight JJ’s binges for after you ace that bio midterm, because then, you definitely deserve it.  

Sophomore Film Studies and Business Management Columbia College Hometown: Washington D.C.