neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Life Lessons From YouTube: It’s Not Just Cat Videos

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Who doesn’t turn to YouTube when they need a break from writing that 15-page essay due tomorrow? Admit it, no matter how many times you watch the “Sail Cat” video, it never fails to cheer you up. And who can resist watching “twins dancing together”? For most people, this is the extent of their YouTube exploration. But YouTube has a lot more to offer than just hours of procrastination watching funny videos. You can also find lots of wise people offering up their sage advice to you (for free!). If you are in need of some inspiration or general words of wisdom, turn to these awesome YouTubers.

1. VlogBrothers

John and Hank Green are two brothers affectionately known by their fans (aka Nerdfighteria) as the VlogBrothers. John Green, a YA fiction author (with amazing novels like The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska) and his brother Hank, a musician and YouTube producer (with series like The Lizzie Bennett Diaries), are the two witty and wise older brothers you always wish you had. Their videos can help with literally any aspect of your confusing life. From “What to do with Your Life” to “How to Apologize like a Fartbag,” these brothers will have your life all sorted in no time, with plenty of clever jokes and profound observations along the way. “Question Tuesday’s” are full of audience questions with unbelievable responses.

If you only watch one video make it this one: College Advice From an Expert

2. Mike Falzone

As he said himself, “I make music. I make people laugh. I do both on purpose.” Mike Falzone will make you laugh hysterically and make you a better human being all in a few short minutes. If Hank and John are the brothers you always wanted, Mike is the best friend you deserve. He is down to earth and tells it like it is. It may not be the advice you want to hear, but it’s the advice you need to hear, made all the easier by his charming smile and infectious laugh.  Try his “Walk and Talk” videos, which range from “How to Give Yourself a Pep Talk” to “Patience.” He makes videos every Tuesday and Thursday, but if that’s not enough Mike for you, check out his weekly podcast “Welcome to the Podcast.”

If you only watch one video make it this one: TIPS FOR A GOOD DAY!- Shut up and Listen

3. Annie Jaffrey

A YouTube advice list would not be complete without a beauty/make-up tutorial channel. There are hundreds of people out there with lots of amazing advice to give to help you feel beautiful inside and out. While lots of these channels are awesome, I decided to include Annie because her videos go beyond the traditional make-up routines. She talks about all aspects of beauty, including healthy recipes, exercise suggestions and skin and hair health advice, as well as general motivation tips. Her tutorials are easy to follow, with lots specifically geared towards beginners. Ever wonder what the heck contouring actually is? Or how about what to snack on without feeling guilty afterwards? Or what about how to fit exercising into your busy schedule? Annie has tips for all of this, with inspiring personal stories included. Her blog, www.anniejaffrey.com, includes lots of fun extras to check out also.

If you only watch one video make it this one: Soft Smoky Eye Tutorial

4. Sexplanations

You know all those questions you’vehad but have been too embarrassed to actually ask? Well Dr. Lindsey Doe, a clinical sexologist, is here to answer them! This channel manages to take the tricky topic of sex and make videos that are both professional and relatable. The channel is all about helping you figure out what you want, not telling you what you should want.

Dr. Doe is both adorably nerdy and fascinatingly smart, and she’s not afraid to cover some traditionally taboo topics, including asexuality and intersex. With videos ranging from discussions on sexuality to how to keep sex safe, you’ll have lots of your questions answered, but if you still need advice, Lindsey answers lots of audience questions in her “Ask Lindsey” videos. The best feature of this channel is the refreshingly honest and inclusive stance it takes. The videos don’t just focus on traditional heterosexual relationships, but include all types of gender and sexuality.

If you only watch one video make it this one: Sex is Not Black & White

5. PBS Idea Channel

Okay, so it might be a stretch to call this one an advice channel in the traditional sense. The host, Mike Rugnetta, doesn’t give you advice about yourself as much as he gives advice about the world around you. These videos will give you insight to our pop culture and make you see it in a whole new way, while slyly slipping in life lessons along the way. The topics introduced in these videos are interesting and relevant, making them fun to watch while being amazingly thought provoking. Ever wonder “Is Pop Music Holding You Hostage?” or “Can You Actually Enjoy Breaking Bad?” No? Well maybe you should have been. Mike is wickedly smart while also being incredibly friendly and engaging. The end of each video includes a review of audience comments from the last video, encouraging an open discussion between the viewers and the show. Sponsored by PBS, the show is a step away from the traditional “Antiques Roadshow” side of PBS and a successful appeal to younger audiences.

If you only watch one video make it this one: Are You A Hipster?

Elena is a sophomore at Columbia University majoring in English. In her free time, she writes for Her Campus and news for Spectator. She loves New York and her friends.